Are diamond engagement rings worth it when getting married?

• Favorite Answer

The ring is a representation of a romantic and symbiotic bond between 2 people.  The diamond is just for bragging rights.

In other words, if a woman insists on having a diamond ring or she won't marry you, then she's doing you a huge favor.  It'll be up to you to determine whether you stick around with someone who wants status more than a partner, or if you want to break things off and try again with someone less materialistic.

• Lita

Only if the person you are marrying wants a diamond. I'll admit my ring is a diamond ring because it is a family heirloom. If I had chosen my own ring it wouldn't have been a diamond, a moonstone or a pearl perhaps but not a diamond.

How do you define 'worth it'?

Engagement rings are entirely optional.

You have to decide for yourself if you think it is worth it.  You could pass the ring down for generations.

• Foofa

If you look at it as an investment and you choose it wisely and put it in a safe after the wedding it can be "worth it". But to just wear a big stone around (that will inevitably be broken or lost at some point) is only good for the social cachet it offers.

• 熊冰冰

Financially, a diamond ring is one of the worst investments you could make. 

• drip

Really up to you, it is a personal choose.

Some women only have a wedding band.

My friend has a turquoise and gold wedding band that is gorgeous. 

My daughter has a sapphire stone in her engagement ring. You can put almost any gem stone in an engagement ring.

• Kelly

My guy didn't care what anyone but me thought.  I have a diamond ring and it was my preference, if I preferred something else he would have bought something else.

• You have to figure that out for your self. It's a symbol of love between two people, that you can get creative with depending on what your partner wants. 

If your partner wants diamonds then it may be worth it. If they're giving you an ultimatum over getting a diamond ring, then it's not worth it. Ultimatums usually don't work out. I love my husband and my diamond rings, they were worth it for me. If I want to brag about my rings, then I will. People around me know that I love my husband and he loves me.

No.  But why ask a random stranger on the internet?  Your fiancee is the one you need to ask.