Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleOther - Beauty & Style · 2 months ago

Why do doctors always ask me why I have long nails?

Two visits to the hospital regarding mental health and i'm always asked why I have long nails. I am a male and I just genuinely like having long nails so I can open soda cans and pick up flat items on tables.

• Jerry
    Favorite Answer

When you choose to do something that is both highly unusual and highly noticeable, then you're going to get asked about. That's human nature. WHY it's human nature, I can't tell you.

As a nurse, I'd be asking you out of concern. Is there something going on that prevents you from trimming your nails, something like pain, stiffness, or weakness in your fingers? Is there something bad going on in your personal life, like domestic abuse, that's affecting your choices? Is there something psychological going on like obsessive compulsive disorder?

That's part of what doctors and nurses do. Notice anything unusual and question you about it. 

They are probably just curious.

an 8th' is appropriate,no more docs have to be meticulous in hand & fingernail hygiene.a bot of bias,,but, trim them shorter, keep them clean, easy money,,when I go into a store for a pop or something,if I see the clerk with  long  nails, they are usually dirty too,,I find another store, males w painted nails,ditto, dirty hands,,ditto,live with a social norm on this

Yes............

So tell them that!

They ask because this is unusual. It's their JOB to notice and ask about unusual behaviour.

Mind you, I don't know exactly what you mean by 'long'. I can open soda cans perfectly well with what I consider normal length nails.

• Most men don't have long nails. 

When you get asked why you have long nails, just tell them because you like having long nails. 

They think you're going to harm yourself or someone else with them. Yes this is seriously why they ask

• C

They want to know if you do coke.  I've never seen anyone use their nails to take coke but long nails is still in every single drug training course I've ever been sent on as "suspicious sign" of coke use, especially if only one or two nails on the hand are long or if the person is male.  Even if you did use them as coke shovels I can't imagine the conversion that goes, "why are your nails long?" "Oh, you've got me, I'm a cokehead!"

• patty

tell them your boyfriend likes them long

• Jake

Cause it stems from social norms. Most guys don't have long nails so they think it looks weird.

• kelvin

well i am a guy and i prefer too have my nails long and no it's not for doing drugs as i am a recovered drug addict