Would you rather have 10 rounds 9mm or 8 rounds 40 s&w vs. a meth head / bath salt attacker?

Favorite Answer

Unless he is in my face, I'll take 10 Rounds of 9mm.  .40 doesn't really perform much better than 9mm using defensive ammo.  10 rounds give you 25% more opportunity for little lose in stopping power.  If you are shooting a stationary target and there is no pressure, maybe the bigger bullet would be better, but under pressure against a moving target give me lower recoil and higher capacity and what is otherwise pretty much equivalent stopping power per bullet.

If you don't believe me, then ask the FBI and many major LE departments switching back from .40 to 9mm.

https://sofrep.com/gear/the-reasons-why-fbi-went-t...

You might also be interested in this study and its conclusion:https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-han...

• Robin

i have a 455 webley so would only need the 6

I think the .40 would be my choice, but a 9mm would be better for someone not as experienced. Also has anyone noticed the absence of daniel g in this section?

I would keep all 18 rounds, as I could use both calibers, but I would  send the tweeker on his way.

The bigger the bullet the bigger the hole.  I'll take the .40.  Robert Ruark, who hunted dangerous game in Africa, said "Use enough gun."  That basic truth applies to all self defense situations, whither against meth heads or cape buffalo.

Can I trade both the 9 and the 40 for 7 rounds of 45ACP in a 1911? If so that's my choice. Or...6 rounds of 45 Colt in a Blackhawk Flattop.

Source(s): I know you don't know me, but if you could see what I can do with a Flattop you'd be impressed.

40sw hollow points.

A- that's what I already use

B- 40 is bigger than 9, and if both are traveling at the same speed the larger bullet can impart more ft/lbs of energy into the target.

C- the cross section of the bullet is broader giving a larger surface area to impart energy; meaning more "takedown" energy into the target while reducing the chances of over penetration.

D- barrier penetration; while the 9 is more effectient, I can again compensate by firing more bullet ie. 115gr 9mm vs 165gr 40sw

E- reloads are cancelled out by the fact that 40sw has to reload more frequently but 9mm needs more rounds per mag per target to neutralize an attacker.

F- recoil is about the same for both (but that comes with practice)

Source(s): This answer is based on off the shelf ammo with stock pistols. Customized ammo and/or pistols can be used to skew results.
    • ZDAYSURVIVR2 months agoReport

E- they have the same chance if stopping an attacker, the 40 does it with fewer rounds, F- recoil is about the same as your +p 9mm and follow up shots with 135gr 40 are just as easy as standard 9mm

• Matt

10 rounds of 9 mm. .40 doesn't out perform 9mm by much. Not enough to justify going with less ammo, snappier recoil, overall slower rate of fire and potentially less accurate shots. This is all contingent on the experience of the person pulling the trigger, specific type of ammo, and several other factors I don't feel like getting into. Like i said, I prefer 9mm.

Tbh a 12 gauge buck or slug shot shotgun would work and a m249, pkm, gernade launcher, flame thrower, c4, a wooden shack n a baseball bat but if I had to choose out of them two options no disrespect to 9mm but the 40 will blow them down a 9 will too but the damage capacity has less volume than a 40

I suppose the 10 rounds. Since I don't own a handgun, I could trade them to the meth head if he agrees to kill the bath salt user for me.