Ryan asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 2 months ago

Would you say 25 minutes is a long commute?

It's 25 minutes on the expressway. With winter here, I'm not sure it's worth applying for this $17/hr job.

I'm making $13/hr currently, so it's enticing.

But it's also not the kind of job I envision doing for long.

• Zheia

It depends how far away the new job is. You will need to work out how many miles per gallon of petrol your car runs on, then how much you need to spend each week.

No, sounds like a reasonable commute

• Linda

Stay with your current job because you may not stay there long at the other one and it is a risk that might be more costly in the long run, especially with winter coming, best to stay put for now. 25 minutes isn't a long commute imo but since you may not like it, I would stay where you are at.

• zipper

Why are you that well off you can walk away from such a good start up job. If you do your a fool! I use to drive an hour an a half for less!

• Ryan2 months agoReport

I applied and will accept the job if I get an offer. The responsibilities of the job are nothing special and it won't improve my resume, but the pay is too good for me to pass up.

• Katie

No - I commute 3 HOURS every day to look for work and to do the food shopping (30 minute walk TO the bus stop, 1 hour on the bus (inwards), 1 hour on the bus (outwards) and 30 minute walk FROM the bus stop).

• Ryan2 months agoReport

I live in the suburbs of a mid-sized city, so jobs are plentiful nearby. That's why I consider it a long commute. Longest I'd ever have because I've never had a problem finding jobs nearby.

• YKhan

Some people I know commute 2 hours each way. So go for this job, $17/hr is a big raise over $13/hr.

• Ryan2 months agoReport

Those people must have excellent jobs to be willing to commute that far. And of course they must've had trouble finding just as good of a job closer to where they live.

Not in the least.

It would be nice if you could move to a place very near the job site.

I know lots of people who commute over an hour each way

I did the same thing in Ohio for $9.25 an hour. Sometimes you just need to do what you have to.