Did my mechanic mess up?

My mechanic put a 3.7 Litre jug of non mixed coolant after a flush and he claimed that after the flush, some water was left in the heater core and the heater core holds enough water to have a 60/40 mix which is what I requested. Was he right? The car is a 1999 Toyota Tercel.

When flushing a cooling system with a flushing "T" and garden hose there is always water trapped in the motor block that can't be drained out...not in the heater core.

To get a -35 degree Fahrenheit protection level you need to add 1/2 gallon of straight antifreeze first and then dilute the remaining half gallon to a 50/50 mix before adding it to the cooling system.

Sounds to me like you and your mechanic have no clue what you're doing.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Michael R2 months agoReport

Anyway, I know something is fishy here which is why I asked. If I were to have done it I would of flushed it with water then premix the mix in a jug with distilled water and that way I'd have my proper measurement... now I cannot be sure that it is not 95/5 mix... I'm kind of appalled. 

According to my service manuals, a Tercel with a 1.5L engine will have a capacity of 4.9L if equipped with a manual transmission, or 5.3L if equipped with an automatic transmission.  The radiator is different depending on which transmission the vehicle is equipped with.  So if manual, 3.7 divided by 4.9 would give you a mix of roughly 75/25 or if an automatic, 3.7 divided by 5.3 would give you a mix of roughly 70/30.

If the coolant is NOT premixed, then the mechanic is wrong.  It will be more like a 90/10 mixture, maybe even a 95/5.  Get it drained. get a  coolant with a premixed 60/40 ratio and service as required.  Be sure to bleed the coolant.  Good luck.

• Michael R2 months agoReport

I'm getting mixed answers here. This is not helping my worries go away.