Family rekindling makes me bitter?

I was adopted at age 10, with three out of five of my biological sisters/brothers. I was put in a family with two biological children of their own. After my oldest sisters started to get to the age of moving out and such; one by one my adopted parents would cut ties with them and forced me to not speak to them or even about them. This left me feeling very alone and distrustful being that my only ‘real’ family had been stripped away before I had formed bonds with my adopted family. Now that I am an adult, I have been in relationships with both my adopted and biological family. Though there is still a wall between all of them and me it seems , from all the hardships and lost time.  My adopted mother has begun rekindled her relationships with two of my sisters. I’ve always wanted a ‘happy’ family and I want everyone to get along, but for some reason I find myself feeling even more resentful towards my adopted mom and even my sisters. I don’t know why this is or how to handle it. Any advice?

Feeling upset with your mom is very normal - forcing you to cut ties with your family, biological or not, due to whatever personal emotional problems she has is very unhealthy. If I were in that situation, it would make me anxious during my teen years that I would be the next one to be cut off, and it would impact my ability to trust and love my mom if I understood that her love was conditional on me being a child.

I think a therapist could help you sort through the feelings you have about this unusual situation.

Source(s): Adoptee and Adoptive Mom.

Is it possible that their flawed strategy came from her husband? It sounds as though you could benefit from some good counseling.