I think I'm autistic, what should I do?

I do not mean this in an "autism is bad and caused by vaccines" way because one; they're not and two; what's wrong with autism?

Anyway, I've taken several tests online and all but one questionable one on a sketchy website came back with a high chance of autism. I told my mother a few months back that my best friend had gotten an autism consul and it had come back with positive, and it wouldn't hurt to try one for me. Before I could finish, though, my mother cut me off and said "you're saying that because you saw it online. You don't have autism, nothing's wrong with you." I got SUPER offended by this because, again, my best friend has autism and nothing is wrong with xim, and I showed a lot of signs of having autism (sometimes I'm talkative, sometimes I go nonverbal, I have a few stims that I thought were just habits for a long time, and most interests either fade in 10 minutes or become a hyperfixation) but she refuses to get me tested.

What can I do just to make sure that I do have autism? Should I ask my dad to take me while my mom is out in Seattle for her annual trip, even though he'll just say "Let me ask your mother about that"? Should I be more vocal about the things I do/like/can't stand? My mother always laughs at me when I bring up that I might have autism, and I want to know is there any way to get a diagnosis without a parent (preferably online or free, because I'm broke and live in the middle of nowhere)? Do I have to wait until I'm 18? Help me!

Favorite Answer

Intelligent people understand that a diagnosis is helpful because it helps you understand yourself and deal with any issues you have.

Unless some need is not being met such as medical therapies you need, you can't force your parent to get you a medical evaluation.

Do you have a teacher or school counselor you can go to?  if they tell your mother that they do see some signs that should be checked out, may be that would help.

• Indigo2 months agoReport

Sadly, my school is too poor to have a school counselor as it's a private school that lives off of tuition and bake sales. I went up to a teacher the other day and remarked about a stim (at the time I thought it was an anxiety tic- it wasn't) and she said that could be something else. Thanks.

• Lisa A

What would be the point of getting an autism diagnosis?

• Starlight 1

Lisa, getting a diagnosis is important because, in the case of adults, it affords you protections at work and in other places that aren't available to the non-disabled population. It can also open some doors for you.

It's impossible to self diagnose autism, dude.

Seek a therapist.