Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 2 months ago

Getting Married In A Church?

Hi, my Fiance and I are getting married on 6/12/21 in a Catholic Church. We want a late afternoon ceremony because my parents want it to flow over into the reception and my fiance and are dead set on having cocktail hour 6-7 then reception 7-12. All the churches seem to have a Saturday mass at 4 or 4:30. Does this mean we would have to get married before these masses or since this is a year and a half notice, would the church be willing to move the normal late afternoon mass up earlier? Sorry if this is a dumb question but i’ve never been in this situation before...Do churches change mass times up regularly? Like could they have a totally different mass times a year and a half from now?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • GB
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

It would be best to speak to a priest. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

a church WILL NOT stop a mass just because of you...

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You would have to start a wedding at three o'clock to get the reception started by eight or nine.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You'd have to ask the specific church in question because they'd all likely have differing policies on this.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's doubtful a church is going to cancel their regular worship service to accommodate someone's wedding.

"Does this mean we would have to get married before these masses"   Please don't do this.   Getting married at 2:30 or 3:00 and then expecting people to wait around until 6 for cocktail hour and 7 for the reception (dinner) is rude IMO. 

Plan on most guests being willing to invest 4-5 hours in your event.   If you want a dinner/reception that starts at 7, then have the ceremony AFTER mass. 

Or have the ceremony before mass and then the reception directly after. 

But please do not expect people to show up at 2:30 or 3 and stay anywhere CLOSE to your end time of midnight.   Attending a wedding should not take 8-10 hours.   Please do not hold your guests hostage with a big time gap.

• wadeypops
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

You could offer tea,cake and biscuits while you do photo's most church weddings are at least 1/2hr service Catholic service orr you could incorporate wedding service with the mass after so any Catholic guests can partake in the Mass with the regular congregation,

• drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

They pretty much stick to the same schedule forever.

Most catholic weddings I have been to require a gap time before the reception due to the church only allowing specific times for wedding ceremonies. 

For the guest it is a pain in the neck. Especially for out of towners.

You need to speak to your church.

• Kelly
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's rude in any denomination or faith to ask to disrupt someones time of worship to accommodate yourself and this is exactly what you're wanting to do.

Are you Catholic? I'm guessing no since you had to ask that and that you've been church shopping for times. 

I'm a devout Catholic and the church is not going disrupt mass to accommodate a wedding even with that much notice and they shouldn't need to.

The local parish (church) doesn't actually make that decision for a mass time to be changed, the local Diocese Bishop has to approve it.  So in all likelihood you would need to permission from the Bishop and that's unlikely.

For you to even get married in a Catholic church you or your future spouse needs to be a confirmed Catholic.  If one of you isn't that person is usually required to take some classes in the Catholic faith.  Promising to raise kids in the Catholic faith is welcomed but not a requirement anymore.  

Some parishes also require that you're a member of that parish.  Other denominations have this requirement to such as Lutheran, Methodist, etc in order to marry in their church, you need to be a member of that church.

If the diocese has a church that they no longer perform mass services at but they still use the church for weddings, funerals and other events that might be an option for you.  My wedding was at a catholic church that had been closed for a few years for mass, but they still utilized the building for other things.  I though attended that particular church for years and moved to another parish when they consolidated a few parishes together.

• 2 months ago

You would need to speak to the specific church you wanted to get married at, and check what times they can/would perform a wedding ceremony.

No church is going to reschedule their standard services to accommodate you.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Why not discuss these questions with the priest?  Different churches could have different ways of handling this.

• 2 months ago

i would ask the person in charge of the church about it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.