my4
my4 asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 2 months ago

Good camera for teen ?

I’m thinking of getting my son a camera for Christmas. He takes good pictures so something that works well, compact but not pricey as he is a teen boy. Any suggestions? 

A mid range bridge camera .

Look it up ...

• ron h

What does "not pricey" mean here?  $25?  $400?  Makes a BIG difference.

• keerok

It all depends on your budget. Your son's developing interest and skill in photography may depend on the camera you will be giving him. Get him a cheap but flashy point and shoot and he may just become like most everyone out there taking snapshots. Give him a pricey instant camera and he might turn into a snobbish pretentious teenager. Gift him with a capable camera like a dSLR and he can actually turn into an adept photographer. It will all boil down on how much will you be willing to spend.

It's not automatic though. Not just because you give him a great camera means he'll excel at photography. You're just making him more equipped in case he'll find photography interesting enough to pursue.

When my son was around 10, I gave him an old Nikon D50. He didn't exactly learn the basics of photography but he did get great shots now and then by just relying on auto mode and exposure compensation. What he did best was composition. It was natural in him, so natural that he didn't think much about photography. He was so comfortable with a dSLR that in high school, he became part of the photojournalist club which he eventually headed in his junior and senior years. Even up to now in college, he doesn't think much about photography. It's just a tool for his school projects and toy builds. I guess it was all worth it just the same.

As for not being pricey because he's a teen, well it can be heartbreaking sometimes. My niece (who was at the same age as my son) was given a laptop when she entered college but even before the year ended, it was in disarray. She noticed my son's much older laptop, which he had since high school, and asked how does he keep it looking good and perfectly working. He just tilted his head and shrugged. His D50 is still alive and well so I guess that's one thing he learned - how to make his precious "tools" last.

• Frank

Which one to go with depends upon the types of photos he takes or wants to take AND your budget.  "Not pricey" is very subjective.  You need to state an actual dollar amount.  What does your son want to do with the camera?  Does he want a compact point-and-shoot?  Or does he want the adjustability, features and technology found in a DSLR or mirrorless?

Any DSLR will be a good camera for a beginner, as will most mirrorless cameras.  In the realm of DSLRs and mirrorless cameras, there are no "bad" cameras - just ones that will be better for those who do certain types of photography.

Take a look at the Canon T series and the Pentax K-70.  The K-70 is probably the best APS-C format camera in it's price range and even beyond as Canon/Nikon can put in less into their cameras since they've got nearly the entire market.  Pentax, on the other hand, needs to provide a far better value to attract people who only think Canon or Nikon.  Things like in-body image stabilization (IBIS) and being weather/dust proof are what you'll get with a Pentax.

Another company who's really surpassing Canon/Nikon is Sony and their mirrorless cameras.  These are smaller and lighter cameras with some features not found in a DSLR.  Sony has IBIS in some of their camera bodies.  Look at the Sony A6xxx series and especially the A6500.

IMHO, you should get a camera that will grow with him. By that I mean, he can take it out of the box, put it in "Auto" and start taking photos. When he grows bored with that and wants to take his photography to the next level, all the parts are there in the camera. I am going to recommend the Olympus Pen E-PL9 (I own its older brother the E-PL5.) This camera retails for about $500 with the kit lens. It is a mirrorless Interchangeable lens camera. That means when he learns that he wants a different lens, he/you can buy it and it will work seamlessly with the camera. Likewise, when he is bored with Auto mode, all the normal modes (Aperture priority, Shutter priority and Manual mode) are built into the camera. There is lots of competition with the E-PL5 and you should consider them.

Well, you are not getting much answers on this, so I will put in a comment or two. Years ago there were really two main categories of digital cameras, the "higher end" DSLR cameras, (often mistakenly called a "professional camera"), and the more common "point and shoot" cameras that were much smaller and simpler to use.

Ok, you say "he takes good pictures". With what? His cell phone, which I assume he has? Good photos CAN be taken with the phones but it is very limiting as to how you can control the image production process, (apps and such on a phone are NOT control of photography). What has happened over the years is that the small point and shoot cameras have dropped MASSIVELY in production and popularity. The camera manufacturers have almost completely abandoned making them. Why? Because of the cell phone. As most everyone now has a phone on them and because these phones can take photos, people simply no longer carry or use the point and shoot cameras. The cell phones have actually come a long way as to the quality of photos they can take. They originally were quite bad, but are improved quite a bit now.

So the problem is, any dedicated camera you want to buy that is not "pricey" is not going to be just a whole lot better than your son's cell phone. To get into a camera that will truly have the capability to produce superior results and control is just not going to happen cheaply. You will have to look at an entry level DSLR camera or one of the "mirrorless" cameras. I'm not going to go into a long discussion on what mirrorless means when it comes to cameras, but suffice it to say they are NOT inexpensive.

Another aspect is just how dedicated is your son to photography? NO camera, no matter how good it is, is a magic box. To get really good results REQUIRES the user to study the camera owner's manual and possibly even take a photography course in school or join a local photo club. Ads on tv make it look like you can buy a DSLR, put it in AUTO mode and magically have "professional" photos. It simply does NOT work that way. It take EFFORT, TIME, EXPERIENCE, SKILL, and KNOWLEDGE to produce really outstanding photos that are beyond typical things everyone else does. It is NOT just a matter of buying some camera and pushing a button. Do you feel your son REALLY wants to get that involved with it?

If so, then great, it's a wonderful hobby and can be very personally rewarding. So, finally, I will make a camera suggestion. An entry level DSLR would give him the CAPABILITY to create some outstanding photos, but I have to emphasize again, the camera only gives the CAPABILITY to create good photos, ... it will not magically do it all by itself. If he is happy with and only wants to push a button, he will be better off sticking with his cell phone and working to create nice images as concerns good composition and lighting awareness.

Here is an excellent entry level Canon DSLR:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1376692-REG...

you could get him a digital one

• ron h

she's still got a heartbeat.

Yeah that will be a good thing to do.