No hot water with new Shower Cartridge. ?

I recently replaced my old Delta shower valve Cartridge with a new one. Since then the temperature coming out of the shower has been mostly luke warm and/or cold water. I tried to adjust the scald guard on the valve but found that it was already set at the hottest setting. No other fixture in my home has issue with the hot water. I'm pretty confused on how to remedy the situation. 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Spock is right.  Take the scald slider off and rotate the valve cartridge 180 and put the scald adjuster back on and problem should be solved if you have the right cartridge. I have had a piece of soldier break loose and get in a new cartridge as well even when not touching anything but the cartridge. So if rotation does not work pull it and check for debris.  Use some faucet lube if none was on the new part.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Chinese junk. Replace it and get your money back for the defective part.

• 2 months ago

on some Delta models, it is possible to install the cartridge upside down, which has a severe impact on the water flow. On mine, it reversed the direction of the hot and cold on the unihandle control, but yours might be different

Source(s): grampa
  • elhigh
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Are you sure you turned the scald protection limited the right direction?

Are you sure you installed the replacement cartridge right side up?

Check those things before you call in a plumber.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You have a defective valve. Unless you really need the scald feature, get a valve that does provide the service you need. Scalding is caused by a significantly different length in the cold and hot water pipes servicing the faucet. Say the hot water line runs from the heater to the bath and is 50 feet long. The plumber ran the cold water line from water service inlet into the house and it is only 10 feet long to the bath. What happens is that when water is drawn out of the cold line (someone flushes the commode), there is an imbalance in the pressures in the hot and cold lines and more hot water (the higher pressure line) will furnish more water. If the cold water lines start at the inlet of the water heater and parallet the hot water, the hot and cold water lines will be the same length and the pressure drop will be the same in both lines and the temperature will not change in the shower. P1 is the same for hot and cold at the water heater.

• 2 months ago

Are you sure you're adjusting the scald guard in the correct direction?  Try it the other way.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Time to call the $90 an hour person, aka the plumber.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.