Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar Audio · 2 months ago

Is it normal for a car to not be balanced while driving ?! ?

My dad has a 2015 Hyundai Elantra he’s had it about 7 months. He doesn’t do a lot of high way driving but today we had to go on the highway to go somewhere kinda far and while we were on the highway as he’s driving it felt like the car was kinda going back and fourth like not straight and I was getting nervous cuz it felt like we were gonna  sway into a truck. 

And he has 2 hands on the wheel and he had to keep a firm grip on the wheel. Like as he’s trying to drive straight it kept going on the lines and it felt like he was having to drive an airplane. I was scared . Is this normal ? Should he get a different car ? Before this he had an Acura and this never happened. It also does this when he’s just normally driving to the stores but my god I felt it even more while on the highway I’m just scared this is dangerous 

• zipper

A car is never fully in balance, this movement you talk about could be the road itself causing it. UN-even pavement will cause a car to shake or move a little side to side.

I suggest he have the electric power steering recalibrated. My 2010 Corolla did like that when brand new and recalibrating the power steering fixed the problem. Poorly aligned front wheels will never drive straight, but will always try to go to one side or the other. After alignment, the steering must be recalibrated.

It is not normal for the car to rock like that unless there are serious changes in speed. Of course if you are at a stop and its windy and people drive past you and your car shakes a bit thats fine( like at a red left arrow but green straight) but not like what you described

Something is dangerous and needs inspecting by a mechanic. The car may have bad belts in the tires, bad ball joints, bad tie rod ends, or bad lower control arms.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • lj1

That isn't normal behavior for any car. Something is definitely wrong. It could be as simple as the car needing a front end alignment, or it could be something more complicated, like a worn out suspension component. 

Your dad doesn't necessarily need to get rid of the car, but he definitely needs to get it checked out by a mechanic. It shouldn't be difficult to keep a car moving in a straight line.

it dont sound normal, i would have a mechanic check it out