Can I shoot a 3 inch shell out of my Franchi 20 gauge? ?

My grandfather came from Italy via boat and brought back his 20 gauge Luigi Franchi Brescelia shotgun. The chamber ejects 3 inch shells fine, but I don't want to shoot the larger 3 inch shells if it will risk damaging the shotgun considering it is over 50 years old. The shells fit fine in the chamber when unshot, but may bend the lips of the open shell when ejecting the shot shell. If it cycles the rounds fine, should I need to worry about it?

Take the shotgun to a real gunsmith and have it inspected.  Follow the advice of the gunsmith regarding what shells and loads to put through the shotgun. 

Whatever is inscribed on the barrel is what is needed to be used. Nothing any longer

or different.

Fire what is stamped on the barrel or anything shorter. Do not use them even though they may seem to chamber. If they swage down on the end after firing then they are entering the forcing cone and could present a dangerous event, such as an explosion.

What does it say on the barrel?  The barrel will be stamped with the manufacturer's specification.  If it says 3", then yes you can.  Else no.

Well, guns are very dangerous.

• Anonymouse2 months agoReport

So are knives and cars. And now you’re going to prohibit those! GTFO >:(

The working pressure of the 2 3/4 inch shell and the 3 inch shell is the same, 12,000 PSI. The 3 inch shells came out during the period of Eisenhower, were relatively new and AMERICAN. I seriously doubt a shot gun made in Italy 50 years ago would be designed to shoot them. Since there is no real advantage using the longer shells as the working pressure is the same, I would play it safe and stick to the shorter 2 3/4 inch shells and not worry about it.

NO NO AND NO, iT WILL BLOW UP

• BBean

Fire what is stamped on the barrel or anything shorter. This is a chart explaining why you should NOT fire longer shells than required even though they may seem to chamber. If they swage down on the end after firing then they are entering the forcing cone and could present a dangerous event.

• Staap It

Not only that, it will NOT shuck the longer shell case.

There should be a number on the barrel to designate the shell length.

If you see a 2 3/4" (70mm) chamber,  then no. But if you see 3" (76) then yes.

• Chris2 months agoReport

there actually isn't a number on the barrel for shell length making it a bit more confusing