Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 2 months ago

Rat safe wood sealants?

I am planning on making a new cage for my two female rats, and I'm using a shelf, and just basically slapping doors on it, then putting hardware cloth at the top to hang hammocks and toys off of. I am going to have cage liners for it, but I want to waterproof the bottom and sides anyways. So I've done a lot of research, and found nothing. They are in a shelf cage right now, but I got a bigger more spacious one. My girls have never been chewers, but I need to make sure I use a rat safe waterproof sealant in case they do for some reason chew the wood.

Don't really need sealants, a lot I have seen made from cabinets like IKEA.

Pinterest has LOTS of DIY ratty cages with photos for ideas.

My rats had a double ferret nation cage for rodents and chinchillas.

Just glue together woods, that new clear FLEXSEAL works well, but be sure it is cured before introducing your pets.

My 5 mice had a DIY tank made from sheet lexan.

You can use a product called lumber-seal or kennel-seal. I used it when making wood enclosures for my reptiles, and it held up well.

Or instead of wood, you may want to look for PVC sheets. Its a lil more expensive, but it's lightweight and will be easier to clean and sanitize than wood.