What are your opinions on the "Best Of" albums?

I feel they are a great way to get into the bands/artists that you like, especially if you're on a budget.

Favorite Answer

It really depends on the band. 

If we are looking at artists like The Smith's and Tom Petty, whom have stronger compilations than albums, than sure. 

But with someone like Depeche Mode, The Temptations, or Dark Tranquillity the albums are going to be a better representative of then than any compilation. 

Source(s): 79

Best of who?  You didn't say.

In my not-so-humble opinion the Best of Queen or the Best of Judas Priest both kick the living snot out of the Best of J-Beebz.

I think they’re just half hearted compilations

• I own the very best of the Doors

Take it from a musician; I think 'best of' albums are cheesy playlists of a quality artist's most commercially successful songs. I try to avoid them because they take a lot of neat aspects away from the artist's rendition of their album.

What is an album? does it carry an overall theme? A chronological time stamp? is the artwork related to the songs? Is it a concept album?

all of the above criteria is lost when one listened to a 'best of' album.

should I buy a greatest hits album flow chart:

do you enjoy non-album singles by the band or artist in question?

yes- sure, buy it

no- continue

are there outtakes/alternate takes/demos/etc on it that you want and can't get elsewhere?

yes- sure, buy it

no- continue

do you just want to keep hearing only the same singles you already know from the radio and nothing else and are just thinking about a GH album to avoid listening to deep cuts because you don't know the words to them?

yes- you aren't going to listen to the album anyway, you are just going to keep listening to the radio because you are boring like that and every once in a while when you need to hear that one song you'll just bring it up on a streaming site without even thinking about if you have the album in your collection. 

no- don't buy it

• Mikey

Its very situational.  For bands I really like, its a no go.  For those I am casually into, they work very well.

No. They're also not good if you're on a budget, they're expensive as hell.

• Andrew

Generally, they can be a good introduction to a band or artist, but it really depends on how the tracks for the collection were selected. When the label compiles the song list for the album, they generally tend to pick the most well-known tracks, which isn't always a bad thing, but you wind up hearing the most commercial, radio-friendly offerings that band or artist has and chances are that the rest of the catalogue sounds quite different. When the band members or artists themselves are given free hands to select the tracks, the results are much better. They tend to pick songs that they think represent their sound. Lastly, some compilations are aimed at trying to cover the entire history of the band or artist, so they contain songs from each era of the band or artists's timeline. Those types of compilations can be interesting because they showcase the development over time and one can see how the music progressed, which is interesting, and it can be useful in selecting which album to buy first. But I really hate compilation albums that are just a blatant cash grab. And if we're talking about a band or artist with a lot of records, a best of compilation with 12 tracks on it isn't going to begin to scratch the surface. I still listen to a few of my best of CDs like Judas Priest's "Metalworks", Black Sabbath's "We Sold Our Soul For Rock And Roll", and the Best of Duran Duran, but for the most part, I'd rather listen to individual albums.    

• patty

the best of earth wind and fire is excellent