Why is it considered transvestitism when men wear dresses but not when women wear pants?

The traditional clothing for women used to be dresses. Pants were for men. Yet, it's become socially acceptable for women to wear it without the transvestite label being attached to them. But men can't wear dresses without being considered freaks and transvestites. Why is there a double standard here?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

My girlfriend likes to wear my t-shirts to bed at night. guess that makes her a transvestite as well

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

There is no transvestism.

• 2 months ago

Because pants are not exclusively made for men. A crossdresser ('transvestite' is a dated term) is someone who likes to dress in clothes made for the opposite sex. A woman would be a crossdresser if she likes to wear shirts/pants made for men. They do exist... they're typically butch lesbians.

• 2 months ago

Some ultra-religious people are against women wearing pants - but usually when a woman does wear pants, they are pants specifically made for women.

Scottish men wear kilts - and aren't considered 'crossdressers'.

I used to go out to industrial/techno clubs wearing a really cool black skirt that belonged to my sister, but I wasn't 'crossdressing' (and I had on black jeans underneath it) - it was just part of my outfit.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Don't think so. Scotsmen wear kilts, and robes and thobes are common in the Middle East. Must be a local cultural thing.

• 2 months ago

Because dresses are considered to be inherently feminine, but pants are androgynous.

• 2 months ago

Gender roles are social constructs. They aren't meant to make sense. 

• 2 months ago

If you are a real man you would need not ask the question; correct? 

• 2 months ago

Then start making and wearing man dresses and don't give up until it has become the norm.

Actually... look at all those cultures where men do or have in the past worn "robes"... Traditional Muslim men for example. And all those church leaders, too. No matter what they call it, that is basically a dress. Various  men have been wearing this style of garment forever without question.

• 2 months ago

Who the heck cares just wear what you want.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.