Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

I almost died during an MRI a few years ago after being injected with contrast dye. Should I avoid foods high in iodine?

Aren't most contrasts full of iodine? That must have been what caused my reaction (burning lungs, fever, rapid heartbeat, inability to breathe, temporary loss of vision, chill, skin turning green/yellow, swollen eyelids, uncontrollable shaking in legs). I'm worried I might be harming my body if I consume things like sushi (the seaweed). Wouldn't people who have severe reactions to high amounts of iodine be more sensitive to it in regular doses?

No. You should not

I actually believe you because i had a reaction to the dye during CT scan. It was only 2mins of it though. The injected more in me while i was under it. I felt a warm burning sensation over my body, and my heart started rapidly beating and i went all dizzy. The worst sudden headache came on me. I was like wtf i already had 2 doses of the dye god dam. These doctors are idiots. I recommend eating lots of saturated fat the day you get MRI or CT scan because these dyes have so much toxins in them that need to leave the body as soon as possible. So eat loads of fat do that the toxins will be stored in fat and then less damage is done to your body. Work off the fat and the toxins will be gone eventually

• John

I don't recall seeing iodine in any foods I eat.

you need to find out from your doctor what was in the contrast dye. AND if this happened to you a few years ago and you haven't been watching what you eat since then, what makes youi think youi suddenly have to now???

Keep in mind that your table salt probably has iodine in it.

• Louis

I don't think it was the iodine. They tell you before you get the contrast that some people get an allergic reaction. 

• Tavy

It was, I had the same in the UK.

This happened a few years ago and now you are asking this?

• Tavy

I am sensitive to contrast, but it is Not in foods. It is either injected or used as an antiseptic, so I always check at the Doctors. There is minimum in food. You are overthinking.

UK