Gabby asked in EnvironmentConservation · 2 months ago

Endangered species eating other endangered species?

My husband is working on a report about this topic for a class, but all of our searches have lead to articles on humans eating endangered species. Does anyone know of any endangered species that eat other endangered species? 

Favorite Answer

Amur leopards eat what they catch. They’re not choosy about whether some of the birds and smaller mammals they devour are on the red list of endangered species.

Great White sharks are also endangered. They’re equally unfussy about gobbling down rarer species of fish and cephalopods, or rarer seabirds and mammals. 

Gorilla faeces have also been found to sometimes contain the DNA of some monkeys but also a type of small forest antelope called a duiker. There are multiple species of monkeys and duikers and many are also officially listed as being endangered.

Those are just a few examples straight off the top of my head with zero research. Your husband should easily be able to search for MANY more.

I hope not. That worries me.

• Lv 7

all you need to do is look up the list of endangered species, and check their eating patterns to see if they crossover.

however, since the majority of endangered species are managed by humans now, i'm sure it's extremely rare that such a thing happens, even infrequently, if at all, which is likely why you don't find any articles on it, specifically.

The way to go about this is to find endangered species that aren’t apex predators and go from there. 

The most obvious would be a tiger eating an Asian elephant calf. 

Southern Resident Orcas are critically endangered. Orcas are know to hunt blue whale calves. I don’t know if those orcas specifically do, but it’s something to look at.

Tigers also hunt the Malayan Tapir. 

This took me about 10 minutes of digging, with breaks to let my dog out and to eat a little meal.  

Well... Giant Pandas were endangered but they were downgraded. Some argue they're still endangered though. Their food source, bamboo is at risk of extinction, but I don't know if it's considered endangered. 

You may want to research endangered habitats and see which animals in that habitat are considered endangered. I'm sure one species eats another. Micronesia/Polynesia has had thousands of species go extinct and many endangered. Find one that eats another.