Josh asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

Should I get a computer?

I recently bought an I Pad Pro. I do have a computer with a windows 7 operating system but, that system will no longer be supported in 2020. Is an I Pad Pro a good replacement for a computer or should I update/buy a computer that has windows 10?  Thank you for your info

Computer use is:

Receiving/sending documents through e-mail

Accessing external hard drives (trying to find a way to connect the two)

Scanning documents for storage or future reference

I was going to suggest Linux operating systems for your old computer, like Elementary OS, Mint, or Manjaro, but might as well just stick with Windows 7 until the hardware stops working.

• keerok

You still have a computer. No longer supported doesn't mean you can't use it any more. If it still works perfectly, why change?

• Andy T

iPad is no replacement to computer, not now and probably not for foreseeable future, the only tablet that can serve as computer replacement is Microsoft Surface, itself is a bonafide computer R&D'd into a tablet form.

Most of your intended basic use require computer with USB and appropriate software that is child's play on a computer of PC or Mac entirely up to you but nearly non-existent in iPad or Android, so iPad.  is a useless tablet in this case. Not to mention a computer is expansionary, not a non-Windows tablet.

I think an iPad Pro can only compete with a computer if you can touch type on it ok. I would have thought that a computer is more comfortable with the screen in front of you when you're working for long hours on it.

I'm using Windows 8.1 and it is a very efficient op system.

If you're worried about the Windows 7 becoming unsupported, then you can just update your existing computer to Windows 10, no need to buy a new computer. Windows 10 can upgrade over top of Windows 7, while still keeping most of your programs unaltered, and also keep all of your personal data intact.

If there are other reasons for buying a whole new computer other than just Windows 7, like perhaps performance getting slow? You can also upgrade hardware components too at the same time.

You can keep using your Win 7 computer. Win 7 will be functional for several years. You just won't receive any of those monthly updates anymore from Microsoft

As for worrying about "hacking", as long as you keep your anti-viral and anti-malware software updated, you will be fine. But you will need to keep these updated even if you buy a new computer

• John

I buy a new laptop every 3 yrs no matter how my existing one is running.  Its my attempt to keep up with many changes that are encountered as this platform evolves.  I find win10 never needs a reboot as many previous win versions needed since the first version back in 1985. That version stayed on my bookshelf mostly.  Not until win version 3.1 in 1992 did I see it incorporated into desktops in the corporate arena.  That's when a slow fire started spreading.

https://www.computerhope.com/history/windows.htm

• John

I've always found that a cross in the road is time to update the entire system. But that depends on your budget. Just because a system runs doesn't mean it is optimum. "Pads" of all kinds are not "real" computers. The won't run Photoshop or a scanner. As was said, Win7 will still function.  Little by little it will be left behind by developers. My XP notebook is pretty much useless beyond the apps that are installed on it. Can't log onto the web anymore..... But that is much older than Win7.  Bottom line? My answer is to buy a new computer if you feel like it is needed. My last two purchases were refurbished at a deep discount but that's another question. Otherwise, maybe budget wise - sure, you can get by on the Win7 system for quite some time.

Just because support for windows 7 ends in January, it does not mean that windows 7 suddenly stops working or anything. The PC will continue to work as it has always worked. It just will not be updated by Microsoft any more.

Since the system requirements for Win7 and Win10 are the same, you should be able to install Win 10 on that computer. You do not HAVE to replace it.

Good luck finding a way to attach an external hard drive or a scanner unless it is wireless to your iPad. It lacks the ports needed to do either.

If you want to limit yourself to just the iPad, you should consider getting some "cloud storage" space. Move all your documents from the external drive(s) to online cloud storage.

Today laptops are often cheaper than desktop computers. And they are currently outselling desktops. If you decide to update the Windows PC, consider a laptop.

• Josh2 months agoReport

I appreciate the information.  I was under the impression that the Windows 7 operating system would be more susceptible to getting hacked since it was no longer supported.  Is that not true?

Just because Microsoft will no longer be putting out updates doesnot mean that the Windows 7 computer will suddenly stop working.  It's still a good computer for what you are doing.