What is homophobia (and what isn t it)?

A. The fear of homosexuals and/or homosexuality

B. Ignorance of homosexuality

C. The belief that homosexual behaviors are morally wrong

D. Distain for homosexuals

E. Discrimination against homosexuals

If someone believes that homosexual behaviors are morally wrong, but treats homosexuals with the same dignity and respect as anyone else, are they homophobic?

Is it fair to lump all of these things together?

Favorite Answer

Homophobia is literally 'fear of homosexuals' - but ignorance tends to lead to fear, and fear can lead to disdain and discrimination against the target of your fear.

The belief that homosexuality is 'morally wrong' isn't necessarily homophobic - but many homophobes do share that belief.

• O Man

The dictionary definition of homophobia is:

An irrational fear of or aversion  to homosexuality, or discrimination against homosexuals.

So thaty would mean it can be described as A C D and E

• atomzer0

By your definition 'C' would be excluded.

Homophobia is A, C, D. Being ignorant isn't the same as being mean. Just treat people with respect. That's the criteria for being not homophobic.

• reme_1

It can all be lumped together except for the last part where the person actually treat gay people with respect even tho they are repulsed by homosexuality.

A, D and E are all homophobia. 

B isn't necessarily. If that ignorance makes someone fear or hate gay people that's homophobic but ignorance in and of itself is not homophobic. 

C is iffy. Most people who feel that way discriminate against gay people and that is homophobic. If someone thought it was morally wrong but also had no problem with gay people treated them like everyone else and wanted then to have equal rights then I wouldn't say they are homophobic but I don't know if that ever happens. 

Homophobe is a generic slur that is used to describe someone who has offended someone who is LGBT.

The same goes for "misandrist" being a generic slur, or "snowflake" being a generic slur... it's just something to call another person that has offended you.

• Tyler

braindead take

In most cases it is the fear of personal exposure, its surprising how many guys are same sex inclined and rather than just ignore it they choose to express anti gay views and actions in a quest to shows others its not their way.

Women who are homophobia are a little more complicated, Some of them have had bad personal experiences and for some reason rather than just acknowledges the circumstances they acknowledge it as being bad but then twist it to be the responsibility of another group. I guess its easier to point the finger at the gay next door than say your own father.

In reality even if I did fancy you (or your husband or son) if I made advances he has the ability to say thank you but no thank you. I wonder why then these women fear that.

Some seem to be saying the men in their life after dealing with them they have had enough of women and so would jump at any alternative offer. Surly not if they are straight.

I knew one young guys whos girlfriend believe just that, it was madness, she could have done modeling yet she feared I could steal him away.

• Arc7

Only A and D.

C is definitely not wrong. You can't force someone to change their religious beliefs or  moral standards. 

E - It depends on the case.

Why did you include B? It does not make any sense.

• Liz

Homophobia (a hatred of or prejudice toward homosexuals).

• atomzer0

So 'D' and maybe 'E'

The belief that it's wrong is undesirable and needs to be overcome. However, it isn't homophobia. Homophobia can be motivated by fear or the belief that it's wrong. I think you're splitting hairs here.

• atomzer0

I'm just trying to discern if a person can oppose homosexual behaviors without being considered a homophobe.