Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 2 months ago

Guy I met on bumble is threatening to arrest me if I don’t pay him back?

I borrowed $600 for my car window tint and we were kinda dating but he got over me. And he is only giving me a week. I’m a college student I don’t have a job what should I do? 

Good luck on getting a person arrested if they loaned you money then it's a civil matter the only way you can get arrested if you if you held out a weapon or committed some act of extortion and can prove it in a court of law

• Foofa

Unless he's got something in writing it's as if this loan never happened. So you might offer him some reasonable payment plan, but there's likely nothing he can do to enforce that. P.S. This is why we never take money from people we're just dating.

he cannot have you arrested, but he can sue you in small claims court.

It is actually a CRIME for someone attempting to collect a debt to threaten legal action they CAN'T take. NO ONE can arrest you for not paying a debt. The creditor can't even file a criminal complaint without alleging you committed fraud by borrowing money you never intended to repay.

You can't be arrested for failure to pay a debt.  You can be arrested for impersonation, presenting circumstances which are not true.

At best, he could take out a civil action to try and get the money back .

But I think your attitude, implied by  " I borrowed $600 for my car window tint, and we were kinda dating ,but he got over me", suggests you've got more to worry about the direction your life is taking , than that .  

He can't arrest you. He can sue you.

This is a civil matter, not a criminal one. He’ll have to sue you if he wants his money.

you can't be arrested in America over an unpaid debt ... the most he can do is sue in small claims court and then, even if you lose, the court will not help him seize your assets

You shouldn't borrow money you can't pay back. But that guy shouldn't lend money he can't afford to lose.