How long does it take for a real estate photographer to shoot a house? ?

I’ve heard that any good real estate photographer takes their pictures in 20 minutes. My process takes a little longer. For every one picture, I have to take 3 separate pictures because I do exposure bracketing, so for every picture it probably takes about 30 seconds to a minute to get all 3. I’m guessing it would take me about an hour to shoot a house. Maybe a little more or less. Is this typical? 

• keerok

To each his own. Just do your thing. What's important is you get the job done on time and you get paid right for it.

• Frank

For as long as it takes to get the shots that the clients paid for.  Of course, a real estate photographer who's in business needs to balance the time spent with the amount he or she is being paid.  And, of course, the amount they're being paid will be based on a variety of factors such as the photos the client expects, the client's budget and what the photos will be used for.  Obviously if you're photographing a $90,000 condo you'll produce a set of photos that will be quick and easy.  This is in stark contrast if you're photographing a $10,000,000 home.  The clientele for these two homes are totally different and therefore you need to spend more money and time photographing the $10 million house.

So the time that you spend needs to be set by you and the various factors such as what you're getting paid, how many houses your boss says you must photograph is a set period of time and the expectations of your client or boss.

That is like "How long is a piece of string?". There is no right answer!

I've never heard of this. It takes as long as it takes. Too many variables to say "you have 20 minutes to get it done". Maybe in a 1 bedroom cottage where you don't need lighting. I would bet the 20 minute shooters are the cheap bastards using cell phones to do the work.