Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsGames & GearOther - Games & Gear · 7 months ago

I'm 44, I own a gaming PC, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, old 360, PS3, time to grow up?

Seems a little excessive, something needs to go. Yes i own my own home, I'm disabled (neurological disorders), pay child support, no spouse (married twice before).

Just interested in opinions

Well, I'm 43 and most of the people I know who are around my age like to drink and go to bars. One ex-gf of mine says going to bars is a legitimate hobby. I suppose the only redeeming value of being a bar hopper is the social connecting. Then again, did these people really grow past being 23yo?

I don't play games, instead I build and obsess over computers and I have a gun collection.

Honestly, f!ck what others think. I wish there were more adults like you. I'm 21, and my generation is sick of adults constantly telling us to "stop playing those games" Personally, I'd love my parents to join me in a round of Super Monkey Ball, but noooo they want me to go outside and smell the fresh air. 

Welcome to being a Toy's R Us kid. Actually, that chain no longer exists now does it?

That is bullsh*t. If that is your hobby (you know, what YOU like to do), then continue on. No one else has a right to judge that. I am 45 and am still a gamer.

Waaayyyy Past time to grow up.

You should have lost interest in video games by the age of 20.

• Tommy

The number of devices you have is less important than how much you use them. You could have one device and play excessively letting other areas in your life suffer.

Gaming isn't just "entertainment for the youth" like the Boomers (and I mean that literally, not metaphorically like the meme's use of the word is) like to make people believe.

The median age of gamers is between 30-35.  This means that the same number of people older than that age plays that is younger.

Gaming is a normal entertainment venue like going out to movies is (that was taboo when it was new, too.  There were boycotts of "The Wizard of Oz" due to its interpretation of "witches" and they could "corrupt the youth". I'm not kidding).

Can you go overboard with it, sure.  But if you game within your means and make sure it's not the top priority in your life (make sure you take care of yourself and those you are responsible for), do what you want with your extra time and money.

I'm 45, married, all of the kids have grown up and moved out.  I have more time on my hands now than I had in the last 20 years.

• Carmen

Seems like you’re searching for another purpose in life have you put God in your life lately? What do you want to accomplish? Try praying for guidance and as you mentioned material possessions don’t guarantee true happiness without love and someone to share it with it’s means nothing keep doing a self examination and keep praying for to keep putting on a new personality.

Why do your care what other people think? Do whatever makes you happy as long as its legal

so? my husband is 50 and I bought him playstation 4 last year for Christmas

• PhilosophyAddict

well yes since I already bought him xbox one when it first came out he didn't really need another. Its not like he doesn't have a life outside of games.He's not sitting in front of the tv 24 7 he has a job and we have a life. we let our son take the Nintendo and the xbox360 when he got his own place