Record label taking advantage of me?

So, im an artist who has been releasing music with an indie label , they're in Italy I'm in the US. I've never had any problems but the guy who runs it stopped providing me contracts and just released my music when I give it to him. This hadn't been a problem for me because I've considered him a trust worthy friend, but the last ep i put out he miss spelled one of the track names and now we have a problem.  I've asked him to fix it but he says he doesnt like to change things... the title is in poor grammar and doesnt make any sense.. he has given me the run around and is apparently willing to abandon our friendship as he thinks I'm being unreasonable. How to I/can i peruse any legal action here?? Sorta desperate. Thanks for the advice in advance.

doesn't sound like there is much of a budget here. he is putting up money to press your records, and reprinting for a typo would cost more money. are you selling the sort of quantity that would legitimize reprinting the labels and sleeves or is he struggling to recoup his costs as it is?

• Me2

"the guy who runs it stopped providing me contracts"  That alone should set off alarms.  I agree, have your lawyer look into it.

"he misspelled one of the track names"  That's problematic as it may cost the songwriter their royalties.  As it's so easily fixed, there's no legitimate reason not to.

• Tony B

You need to take legal advice. It doesn't sound to me like you have any kind of sensible arrangement with this person at all. I can't see how you can call him “a label”!

If he is copying, publishing, releasing material to which you own the copyright then he is breaking the law unless you have given him permission to do it.

Your problem is going to be that he is in Italy and, whilst you should be able to stop anything being illegally made available in the USA fairly easily you will have to pursue him in the Italian courts to actually stop him.

Good luck.

• Sandy

you need a lawyer and fast. don't give this guy any more songs. as far as "trustworthy friend", Ronald Reagan had a saying, "trust, but verify".