Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

How do I deal with depression and constant feeling of worthlessness?

I don't open up to people so it's difficult for me to just go and talk to someone. I'm hoping to get a few words of advice from here. I'm at university, far from home and don't really have a support system. The stress is taking a toll on me. Part of it is the finances, my family is poor and their problems add to my worrying. I can't help myself comparing to others and the result is my non-existent self worth. I feel incapable and useless. I feel stuck with no way out. There's just no happiness, only anguish.

Favorite Answer

What a person thinks about themselves does not matter, only what people who are psychologically normal feel about you matters. This may be odd but you should try to enjoy that sad feeling that college life causes in some people. It is better than feeling nothing. College life style and depression are common and it is better if a person accepts them rather than feeling it is wrong to feel that way. You might want to get a smashing pumpkins Siamese dream album and listen to it. You might also want to get a Kids in the Hall dvd set and watch that. Siamese Dream and Kids in the Hall are a part of the sadness that is college life.

I felt the same way in college. It was so rough to deal with and I’m so sorry you’re dealing with feeling that way. 

I know it sounds cliche, but things can change. I know how hard it can be to talk to others, but social skills and such can improve over time with practice. It’s going to be hard at first, but maybe try joining a club or get involved with an activity at your school. 

You may also want to see if your school offers any counceling or mental health services. I wish I did that back when I was in school

Hope you start feeling better 💛

try relaxing mama tea.The BEST PRODUCT out there for balancing your Dopamine levels!!!! I'm always completely satisfied with this stuff.

Take a deep breath. There is a lot to cherish. Money isn’t everything. Take a look around at all the great things around. Don’t compare yourself to others. If you can’t stop, use it to motivate you. 

Keep your chin high

Do not compare yourself to others, there is nobody else like you.  Why would you want to be like most of the other people?  They are probably not as good as you.  Start going places like the YMCA and join the classes.  USELESS, you are in College with an entire future ahead of you, you certainly are not useless.  Just find where you belong, sometimes that takes some looking and failing.  Get back up and make something of yourself, your in college, a privilege most don't get.

Im so sorry your feeling like that.  Ive included a link to an article that had helped me deal with feelings of worthlessness.  Perhaps you will benefit as well. I wish you well. 

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/w20050801/...

• LAN

Maybe you are just that worthless.  You know yourself better than we do.  Why should we disagree with your instincts?

See if you can volunteer. You’d learn how to have gratitude for so much you may take for granted. It helps us steer the focus to others, meet other people and build confidence and a positive attitude just by helping make a difference to someone.

• Ambar

I am sorry about what you are going through, I do have some good practical advice for you, that has helped so many in similar situations, it’s a website with free information to help you identify what you are going through and why, and gives practical advice on how to cope and even overcome it. Please take a look in the following link, there are many topics, scroll all they way down to the topic subheading “Depression” and the following topic subheading “Anxiety and Stress” … https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/peace-happin... 

See also the following link, on loneliness, it has some good suggestions for what you are going through as well … 

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/teenagers/as...