Ivy asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 7 days ago

Mum keeps getting exchange students. Do I move out?

So I’m 30, recently moved back home with mum and brother after splitting with bf.

So my mum gets an exchange student from China to live with us for extra money ($290 a week) they only stay for a few months and then there’s a new one.

So it’s highly stressful as I’m sharing all areas of the house and some of them are rude, leave the bathroom dirty/unhygienic. Are loud, and messy.

I’ve told my mum can we not get students anymore and she tell me she needs the money to fund my brother who doesn’t work. And that she use to get students when I didn’t live at home so my coming home means I have no say. Like she doesn’t care. 

Should I move out? Or just suck it up? I know living by myself will be expensive $$$ but I just know my situation is not good here with students. 

• Foofa
    3 days ago

These students is apparently how Mom is managing to pay her bills so if you can't contribute to make up the difference of losing that income you should just move out.

• Edna
    5 days ago

You're 30 years old, and your mom has allowed you to move back into HER home after you split from your boyfriend. Your mom can take in all the exchange students she wants to (or anyone else, for that matter). Whom she allows to live in HER home is none of your business, and you have no say-so in it.

• Jane
    5 days ago

You could offer to give her the money she earns from the student. This might sound like a strange thing to say, but I guess you have to accept that your mum needs the income and cannot afford to support you. No doubt she did not expect to have to offer you this level of financial support at your age- or am I being unfair?.It must be hard for you both, particularly as she is already supporting your brother.

Tbh, the situation sounds unhealthy to me- I think your only option is to suck it up in the short term as you are recovering from a life change yourself. Then make solid plans to move forward with your own career and getting a place of your own, this has to be your priority.

• 6 days ago

It's your mothers house. No, you don't have any say, nor should you. Yes, you should move out or suck it up, either one.

• 6 days ago

It's her house, her rules, so yes, it you want to live there, you have to suck it up.

You can talk to your mom about setting and enforcing boundaries though, like asking the exchange students to be more careful w hygiene and so. That's normal.

But you expecting that your mother gives up an important income bc you are inconvenient... yeah, ain't gonna happen.

6 days ago

i would move out if you dont like it

• PAMELA
    6 days ago

At 30 you should be in your place supporting yourself

• Edna
      5 days agoReport

You reported "Pamela"  for WHAT?  Most people who are 30 years old DO live in their own place & support themselves. 

• 7 days ago

Cough up the extra $290 she gets for them each month before saying "we not get students anymore". If you can't, its her place and she makes the rules.

• 7 days ago

Your mother doesnt seem to have managed to raise either you or your brother very well does she?

Neither of you are independent fully functioning adults.

If you dont like sharing with these students, you make up the $300 shortfall, or, spend that by living on your own, it isnt rocket science

• audrey
    7 days ago

Move out. I think your mother is wrong to enable your brother that way, but you can't change it.