L asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 7 days ago

Am I Being Petty?

(Sorry this is really long!!)

Thanksgiving has recently passed and it was a complete and utter nightmare. My mom, shitfaced and drunk out of her mind passed out butt in the air in the middle of the living room floor (where everyone was eating and watching tv). I was extremely embarrassed and hid away in one of the guest bedrooms. I came back out and my step-dad was also drunk. I was very angry at this point so I told him that he was being stupid. He was really mad and punched me lightly in the nose with his ring. It hurt for a little bit and made my eyes tear up but it didn't bleed or anything like that. I returned to the guest bedroom even more upset and a few minutes later my step-dad comes in asking for his phone and charger. I, being mad refused to tell him until he grabbed a plastic bottle off the counter and told me he was going to beat the **** out of me. I was so scared so I ran into the living room where the rest of my family was. He started hitting me with the bottle in front of everyone and my grandma had to intervene. He told everyone he was just joking and when I didn't say anything he was angry and asked why I was making him out as the bad guy. My mom still passed out on the floor we had to drag her into the car and drive home.

When we got home I was so upset so I immediately ran into my room and slammed the door. My step-dad came in and asked me if I was mad and that he was sorry. I gave both my parents the silent treatment for a day and a half. Am I petty?

• Foofa
    3 days ago

Sounds more like you live in a dysfunctional and abusive household and if you're a minor should probably be removed from that situation.

• 6 days ago

Your family is bat **** crazy

6 days ago

i dont think so and if youre underage i would call cps and if youre older move out

6 days ago

Why would you think you're being petty?!   Your mom and stepdad sound like trainwrecks.  Is your biodad in your life?   If not, your mom isn't a very good judge of character.

The one thing you need to remember as long as you live there is that you don't have any power in your home when it comes to your parents, but you can "claim" some power by calling the cops any time you get scared or certainly if you get hit.   Teens are reluctant to do this sometimes, because of the consequences from parents, but it sends the strongest message of all.   Another thing you can do to "fight back" is if one of them ever gets in a car and leaves after drinking, call the non-emergency number of the cops, give the tag number of the car and which direction they headed.  This is all done anonymously, so your parent would never learn you called.  The cops take this stuff seriously and they will look for that tag number.  Then they just wait until they have a valid reason to pull the person over.   IOW, they're never going to say "your kid called and told us to follow you".

• 7 days ago

Well sounds like my house as a kid.

I was sure not to be their the following holidays

• 7 days ago

in my opinion you had all rights to be upset with your family, even though they were intoxicated at the time and probably not thinking straight, so no i dont think you were being petty at all especially because of the circumstances.

okay read it again and i do think you should make it clear to your parents on why you were silent because you didnt talk to them for a while