Local VS General anesthesia for wisdom teeth removal? ?

Okay, so I am deadly scared of getting my wisdom teeth removed. I work in home health and a resident of mine passed away while getting her wisdom teeth removed (had a heart issue she was not aware of) she went under general anesthesia. I have also done what I shouldn’t have done and read about deaths from wisdom teeth removal. I was wondering if local anesthesia is the safer route if you’re worried about going under General? 

• 4 days ago

Ask your dentist to refer you to a local dental hospital for treatment by nitrous oxide sedation.

• Edna
    6 days ago

Most wisdom teeth are extracted using local anesthesia. A local might may you feel drowsy, but it won't "put you to sleep" as general anesthesia does. 

Dentists don't usually use general anesthesia, because general anesthesia must be administered by a trained anesthesiologist, and the heart rate and breathing of someone under general anesthesia has to be constantly monitored by the anesthesiologist. Most dentists' offices don't have the personnel, the equipment and the monitoring devices that are necessary with general anesthesia. 

• 7 days ago

Removal of wisdom teeth is not always necessary.  Mine came through just fine and are in great shape.  Generally you only need to get them removed if they do not come in properly.  Check the dentist is telling the truth by looking at your xrays.  Some people do not have any.

• audrey
    7 days ago

Of course there is a small danger to any anesthesia. But wisdom teeth removal is horribly painful. Get the IV sedation.

• 7 days ago

Quite often the upper can be removed with local anesthesia. However the bottom often are at bad angles and impacted and they have to cut bone away to get them out. If they are going to have to cut bone then local is not going to do it. Now, HOW are they going to do the general anesthesia? In the doctor's office? Then who is going to be monitoring you and how are they going to do it. If it is not an anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist doing the anesthesia then you are putting your self at risk. Even though a dentist can do anesthesia, it is not safe for him to be doing a procedure AND the anesthesia at the same time. You might see if you can get it done in a surgery center where proper anesthesia staff can do the anesthesia.

• Rick
    7 days ago

Try it first with a local, then IF it's TOO MUCH pain, you can do a general later ..............................

• 7 days ago

I have had wisdom teeth removed when I was in my 20's and one was done with a local and two were done with a general.  I would never allow a tooth ANY tooth to be removed without general anesthesia

• Edna
      6 days agoReport

If your wisdom teeth are so impacted that they require general anesthesia for their removal, they will be removed in a hospital - not in a dentist's office. 

• 7 days ago

Yes, of course local anesthesia is safer. I just had novocaine when I had mine removed. It wasn't really a big deal. However, they had emerged. It's a little rougher if they are still under the gums. But I didn't even take the pain pills they prescribed- just some ibuprofen and I was fine.