Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Dining OutFast Food · 2 months ago

Fast food worker fooling with me or telling the truth?

So I goto this fast food drive thru and order something. I get to the window and pay. The fast food worker then tells me to put my car in reverse and drive back a few feet. I ask why and he repeats it. I again ask why and he says it's so the "clock can reset" whatever that means. So was he fooling with me or telling me the truth?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Thats true. They use a magnet to tell when a car is at the window which a clock is showing in their kitchen. It is basically a way to know how long someone has been waiting.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Probably telling you the truth, trying to falsify how long it took to complete your order.

• 2 months ago

Fast food is so bad

• Scott
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I know Del Taco used to have a big clock with red LEDs that would count the time it took to get an order out at the drive up window. I don't know if they still do, but I'm sure other fast food places do that as well.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

It is true. Most drive thrus have a metrics system that keeps track of how long it takes for an order to be taken care of from the point of order to pick up. These metrics can directly affect the bonuses of managers and sometimes there may be employee incentives to lower the times.  Some orders take longer so by having you get out of range (some systems have pressure points in the ground while others use infrared sensors), the timer resets and they won't get dinged. 

However, it's dishonest for them to ask you to do that. I would call the owner of the restaurant. Their info is usually on the receipt or on the wall in the store. Also, if you're inside at the counter, you'll likely see this weird digital timer on the wall by the drive thru with multiple timers to keep track of 2 or 3 orders. That's the metrics system. 

• ...Show all comments
    • bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

@el stapler: your comments make sense. I just want to point out that the expression is not 'Grant it', but 'Granted'.

• 2 months ago

They're not joking around. With the overnight crew at Jack in the Box that's happened to me several times. Once I asked why they do it and the girl said because it resets the clock which makes their stats look better. Basically they're not a good crew or they're horsing around and this is how they try and make up for it.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

He was fooling with you

• 2 months ago

she mightve been kidding around

• Linda
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Sorry Pearl people are always thumbing down your answers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.