Should we have another baby ?

Me and my wife have a daughter who's 10 months old we been thinking of having another one. When should we have another ? 

Favorite Answer

That is a very personal choice and no one can decide that for you.

Many parents might tell you that having your children close in age is "better".  They claim it makes them "closer".

Other parents might tell you that having a little range in the age is "better".  This is usually because it was actually easier for the parents.

The bigger issue is your ability to care for a second child.  Kyle gave a good answer about being mentally, physically, and financially ready for adding another child.

Personally - for me - I knew that there was NO WAY that I wanted to deal with two children under the age of three at the same time.  My two daughters are almost five  years apart in age because I did not want two children in diapers at the same time.  I didn't start trying for the second baby until my first one was past three - completely potty trained - and past the "terrible two" stage.  (which was actually not that terrible)

I don't regret that choice.  I will tell you that with a five year age gap, the older one will be ready to do things that the younger one is not old enough to do.  At times, it was a little challenging to balance out helping the younger one understand why she couldn't do something that her older sister was doing.  But - I never stopped my older child from participating in events or going to events based on the ability of the younger sister to attend or not.  I also never forced the older sister to take her younger sister with her.

• SnowFlake

I had 9 children as close as 15 months and as far as 5 years none was better or worse than the other.

• PAMELA

I would wait until your daughter is out of nappies before having another.

Honestly? You think it's up to a bunch of strangers to tell you when you ought to have another child?

No one here knows or cares

• Suzy Q

Medical advice is to wait at least 12, and preferably 18-24 months after birth before getting pregnant. Getting pregnant sooner increases certain health risks.

It's still a personal decision, of course. My husband and I started trying much sooner than that, not only because we wanted kids close together, but because the first took 2 years to conceive, so we were expecting another long haul. Imagine our shock when I got pregnant literally first try, when our baby was only 9 months old. 

I wouldn't change it for the world. I love having them so close together. They really relate to each other, share interests, even share some friends because they are basically the same age. But it is also true that my second pregnancy was far more physically taxing than the first, I developed debilitating back and hip pain that prevented me from basic things like picking up my kids, and it took a year of intensive physical therapy to get it back as right as it's ever going to be. 

You and your wife should have another when you feel emotionally (both), practically (also both) and physically (her) ready. Just make sure you make an informed decision and understand the risks associated with having kids close together. 

Toss a coin if you are unable to make a simple decision.

• Jill

I dont know you.  For all I know you could be terrible parents and shouldn't have another at all. 

whenever you want to have another one

• Kyle

when you are physically, mentally, and financially ready to raise another child in your family.  go over expenses now for your current child, and at least double that.  if you can afford it and want more kids, go for it.