Shawn asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

Computer black screen?

Ok so I have repaired tons and tons of computers both windows and Linux..

I never seen this before before so I guess I'm a lucky one..

So I had a computer brought to me because of a virus..

They really need the files because it's a business computer..

It just goes to a black screen no error message and it won't let me boot to repair options or safe mode just goes to the black screen

Windows 10 

All I can say is how did the person fall for this tho.

use Linux SystemRescueCD

Ok, so bypassing the idea that you've repaired "Tons" of computers, let's examine the problem.  First, you've given us very little to go on. We don't know what system specs are, what OS, nothing.  So, let's fist assume it's windows. 

1) Do you get the Windows Logo?  Is the hard drive being accessed here.  if so, you can do a repair of the OS using a boot install disk.  

2) Not getting Windows Logo - hard drive not being accessed.  More difficult, but try reseating all the cables for the Hard Drive. 

3) Still no luck.  Check the bios and make sure the HD is being seen by the bios. 

4) Remove the HD from the machine and slave it to another machine to access files. This will tell you if the HD is having other issues.  If you cannot access the HD, it is faulty. 

You need to boot a CLEAN OS ie one from read only media, not your OS on your pc. boot a hiren's 15.2 cdrom(or a usb bootable copy) to MiniXP. this will allow you access to all the files and let you copy them off to a USB or hard drive. you can then RESET the pc using the mmakers recommended method and copy your files back later. *** you will need a working pc with a cd drive to make a bootable cd.

maybe you should take it to a computer store and let them fix it

I find it hard to believe that you've fixed tons of PCs as you claim and don't know about recovery methods... You do realize you can make a bootable Linux CD/DVD and copy the data from the hard drive, right? You can do that without trying to boot into Windows at all.

Though it would probably be wise to run a virus/malware scan on the drive first, before trying to recover data.

I'm just curious. Are you a PC tech? If you aren't, why do you have a business PC if it appears you have no idea what you're doing? I don't mean to be rude or condescending. Its just that I don't know what kind of business would rely on someone who doesn't seem to know what he/she is doing when it comes to PCs.

If you are PC tech, I strongly recommend that you learn a bit more about fixing PCs before trying to fix business machines. The last thing you want is loosing important data because you don't know what you're doing.

• Dick

So you've "repaired tons and tons of computers..." but you don't know enough to remove the hard drive from the afflicted machine and slave it into another computer as a D:\ drive and run a good antivirus on it that way??? Many viruses or actually malware will play with the boot up and/or video software. Give slaving it into another computer as a D;\ and you might be surprised that you'll be able to fix or remove the problem. Hope this helps!!!

maybe you should take it to a computer place and have them fix it

it's a corrupted registry and if you think you need to boot the OS to extract files you don't know much about fixing computers.

• Shawn2 months agoReport

I'm just going by how I've always done it.. instead of being a dick.. why don't you share a little knowledge