Anonymous

What jobs can I get with a history degree?

I'm a recent grad who got a degree in history, and to be honest I really don't want to do anything with in that field. There's not a lot of money to be made, and if there is it's in a handful of jobs that you can't get unless you are well connected. That being said, I've recently come to the realization that I don't know what I want to do career wise, and I'm frustrated with applying for any and all jobs I might find only to heard nothing back. What are some non-history based jobs that a someone with a history degree should apply for? (I'm considering research jobs but I know a lot of them are business and financial in nature....which I don't have any professional experience.)  

19 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Teacher, proof reader, runner for Grub Hub, gas station attendant, Garbage collector that is about it!

• Login to reply the answers
  • Katie
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Teaching or working in a museum.

• Lili
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Museum personnel need advanced degrees. I know. I'm a historian who worked for a museum until I recently retired, and I hold a PhD. Teaching at the university level also requires a PhD.  To teach at the secondary level, you need certification. The poster actually doesn't want to work in history.

• 2 months ago

you can use your paper degree to be a history teacher m8

• 2 months ago

Be a librarian or writer 

• Lili
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Librarians need master's degrees in Library and Information Science.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

When I went to college many years ago, we called the History major, "Pre-Cab Driving," because it was so useless.  An employer sees you as a guy who is a little more literate and educated than a high school graduate - nothing more.  AND unfortunately, you have no marketable skills.

Perhaps you could find a business-to-business sales position by emphasizing your ability to think critically and your understanding of various cultures.  Maybe there are some museums and/or cultural groups that could use your skills (although they will pay you a pittance.)

There are lots of non-profit support groups for unemployed people and some have excellent counselors who might help you.  Your public library probably has a listing of them.

• Lili
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I was a history major.  I found a good job a month after graduating and was offered an excellent promotion a year later. Since I wanted to become a historian, I eventually went back to school and earned a PhD.  Many employers are happy to consider applicants from a variety of majors.

• Kyle
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

https://www.trade-schools.net/articles/jobs-for-hi...

this seems like poor planning.  not only is the degree hard to get a job in that field, you didn't do any research of jobs in that field, or seem to get any internships in that field to get relevant experience.  which some fields require experience and education for even entry level positions.

you can always join the military if nothing else comes to it.  you can apply for officers training with your degree, or enlist at a higher grade, up to e-4 in some branches.  they have hundreds that aren't all combat or infantry related. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Fast food is always hiring.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

probably a history teacher

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

My cousin had a history degree and worked for the historical preservation office of a large urban city government. 

There's also museum work, teaching, maybe something in the travel industry...

• Lili
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

You need an advanced degree for museum work.

• 2 months ago

Shouldn't you have thought of that before earning your degree?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.