Can I replace a 12V home alarm SLA battery (Tenergy 12V 7AH TB1272) with a 12V li-ion battery (DAKOTA LITHIUM 12V 7AH)?

The SLA battery is a backup battery, it is constantly being charged. I am not sure if a lithium (LiFePo4) battery can be used in this fashion. First of all I want to make sure i t is safe to do so. I replaced the SLA batter just a bit more than one year ago, but my home alarm key pads are beeping again for low battery already. A li-ion battery should last longer, and I also don't like the fact that SLA contains lead and sulfuric acid.

• Mr. P
    Favorite Answer

It may be possible but as the charging profile is different you must use a battery protection circuit as well as the battery. This will ensure it is not overcharged and not drained past it's lower limit. However it may not fully charge either if the alarm is configured to accept a SLA type battery. Also it seems there is some battery monitoring going on.

The downside of lead acid batteries is they are heavy and eventually give up with low capacity.

The downside of Lithium batteries is that they catch fire if over-discharged then recharged, and that fire is quite extreme.

• lare

your SLA battery should be good for a solid 3 years performance. something is wrong with the charger. using a lithium battery with a defective charger is asking for serious problems.

Keep it simple: 

Use only an SLA battery. 

One reason is that there is No Advantage Whatsoever

to using a lithium ion battery in that application.

• Mmm J

Maybe - since we don't know anything about your home alarm, we don't know if the alarm's charge controller is able to handle LiFePo batteries. The battery profile is different from Lead-Acid batteries.

There really is no concern about the lead and sulfuric acid in the SEALED battery. No fumes and no lead exposure as long as the battery remains sealed.