What's the meaning of the phrase?

The king had their warriors killed.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

He killed someone's army because he won a battle/war.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Most people will understand that the king ordered the deaths of warriors who belonged to someone else.

A 'woke' person may conclude that it would be sexist to assume the 'king' was a man, and that 'their' refers to that king; that the king ordered the deaths of 'their' (or, as most people would say, 'his') warriors.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

He had someone elses, not his, warriors killed

Source(s): British
  • 2 months ago

It means that the king had his enemies warriors killed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I have no idea, because I have no clue who "they" are (their refers to some they).  Presumably the king ordered his own men to kill the warriors that had been serving  some other group or government.  This also means that those warriors would have had to have been prisoners, because warriors faced in combat are supposed be killed, it is the entire point of the combat, and the only unusual thing would be if the kind ordered those warriors to be NOT killed. 

I would guess that the king ordered the death of captured warriors.  But I need a lot more context to truly understand.  If the sentence was supposed to mean that the king ordered the death of his own warriors, then it should have used "had his warriors killed".  The king is not a plural.

• ?2 months agoReport

Thank you

• sepia
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The king had their warriors killed.

Since 'their' is used, his warriors might have killed someone else's warriers.

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It is unclear, out of context, to whom “their” refers.

• ?2 months agoReport

Their refer to enemy

• 2 months ago

Never heard that one so I'm guessing... it means that he made a reckless military decision... i.e. a reckless decision?

• 2 months ago

The sentence is not clear as we do not who "their" is.

If the king had ordered is own warriors killed, the sentence should say "that king had HIS warriors killed."

"Their" refers to someone other then himself.  So he ordered someone else's warriors killed.  Such as captured enemy warriors.

It is also possible that "their" references to something such as "the kingdom's" warriors.  In that case, if it is the king's own kingdom, it would be his own warriors that were slain.

Or it could refer to someone else's "kingdom", and so once again it is not the his warriors that are killed.

Without additional information or context, we can not tell who "their" refers to, so we do not know who is getting killed.  The sentence is unclear.

• ?2 months agoReport

Their refer to the enemy

• 2 months ago

The empire is becoming more vulnerable if a king loses reinforcements.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.