Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 2 months ago

Am I weak for wanting to move back to my hometown?

I'm currently in my late-20s, single, and pondering life pretty heavily. I've moved around quite a bit over the past 6 years (large cities, small towns), have attended University, held many different jobs, relationships, but one thing that remains the same is my close group of family and friends from my hometown/county in Minnesota. I currently live four hours north from where I grew up, am currently single and career searching, and am beginning to feel drawn to moving back there. I want to move back due to a number of things: my family has deep roots going back to when my ancestors immigrated there over 100 years ago, I'm drawn to the landscape, the social fabric and the amenities of the area. I want to contribute to the community the way the rest of my family has. My desire is to feel like I'm a part of something bigger than myself (I don't get this feeling in the cities I've moved to.) However, most people my age consider me taking a step backwards into a less developed, rural setting. Am I weak for wanting this, or seeking something within my comfort zone instead of something that could perhaps broaden my perspective. What are your thoughts, experiences with this?

• Foofa

If you can find a way to earn a living there I wouldn't worry about this being backtracking. As more of our major cities become unlivable and as technology has made it easier to live out in the boonies a lot of Millennials are making similar choices. When you can own a house in a rural town for less than a studio apartment costs in the city you can see why a lot of people might take that deal.

• drip

I have no idea why you think it is weak. You have said you have traveled and lived elsewhere. You have already went outside of your comfort zone

• Andrew

If you feel a connection to your hometown and you think you would be happier and that your life would be more fulfilling if you were to return, then you ought to do that. 

• John

Just saw "It's a Wonderful Life" up until Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed decide they are forever after. The film is about your very question. Roots, family, simple things.  Not a thing wrong with those.  Maybe you should watch it......

• Eastside Guz

There is also an episode on the Twilight Zone that shows a man miserable with his wife and pushy boss that rides a commuter train and is transported back in time when the conductor announces that the next stop is Willoughby where life is tranquil, pleasant and not a rat race.