Are people with heart problems really not able to tolerate caffeine and can my palpitations from anxiety or heart problem?

My doctor says I may have svt or atrial flutter but he hasn't been able to diagnose me because I didn't have an episode when I had my heart monitor on so it didn't record anything. He just guessed it to be svt.

He told me to stay away from coffee but then I did research on my own and it said that people with arrhythmias don't get episodes or palpitations from at least moderate consumption of coffee. When I drink one or two cups of coffee I get palpitations. Is this more likely due to anxiety? Also right before I have the palpitations I don't feel anxious but I was told that you don't have to feel anxious when you get palpitations from anxiety. I read that people with arrhythmia can tolerate caffeine so because I can't does this mean my palpitations from caffeine are from anxiety and not a heart problem?

There is no 'rule' for tolerating coffee, a little makes some people jumpy. Some people are allergic to poison ivy, they avoid it, not trying to figure out if the hives it causes are of a psychological nature ... common sense can spare you a lot of stress

• Lili

I have svt and do not drink caffeine.  I haven't done so for decades. I found that it made me jittery but not that it actually triggered an svt episode.

svt is about more than "palpitations". It involves sudden, prolonged episodes of very rapid heartbeat.  "Palpitations," if you're referring to things like premature contractions (which are not the same thing as prolonged rapid heartbeat), can indeed be caused by anxiety. Some people refer to them as "skipped heartbeats".

I find that avoiding caffeine is a good idea for a variety of reasons, so I do. If you find that caffeine makes you jittery, what you're experiencing is an increase of whatever anxiety you're already experiencing.  If anxiety tends to cause you to experience "palpitations," then obviously you'd be better off avoiding anything that increases it.

• Frank

Shithead...medical diagnosis is HIT and MISS at best. Talking to a bunch of idiot strangers about your health condition or symptoms is NOT going to be a useful endevour. STOP DRINKING COFFEE if it gives you objectionable symptoms. It is full of ALL SORTS of chemicals...not just caffeine.  

Try OTHER items with caffeine in them and do your own research. Tea. Soda...lots of other drinks have caffeine deliberately put in them. 

If your system doesn't like caffeine...stop ingesting it. 

• .

Weird, my wife's heart doctor told her coffee was good for her. Hospital would not serve it to her so he told her to go to waiting room and score a cup there.

duh . blood sugar level increases from caffeine consumption. Why would anyone want that if they have heart complication? duh.