Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 months ago

How can I live in the US?

Alright guys so I live in a poor country in Europe, I lived here my whole life (Im 18 now) and Im tired of all the bs I have to face here everyday, I would like to immigrate to the land of opportunities. I want to work and live in USA. How can I do that? Is there a freaking way to live in America, its a free world... 21st century and i cant move in to another country. This is so frustrating. I had plans of studying there to hopefully work and eventually live there fully but apparently that doesnt work out. I have already applied for the green card lottery but the chances of winning are minimal. I forgot to mention that I am a straight A student in my native country and I've been studying english since i was 9, currently i have the FCE and CAE certificates. I am physically capable of working any given job.

Bottom line, is there a way? Of i will rot for the rest of my life here in my native hell country.

• Foofa

Short of marital sponsorship you're simply not qualified to work in the US right now. But there may be other countries where you could find work, the Gulf nations specifically take in a lot of unskilled guest workers on temporary visas. In terms of the US and how things are here...recently a bunch of refugees were transferred from Australian custody on Nauru to the US in an "exchange" of sorts. Most of them are currently lobbying to go back to the refugee camp on Nauru citing that "life is just too hard in the US". So consider that your fantasies about the US may not be the reality of actually living here. People allegedly so persecuted that they fled their home countries would rather live in a refugee camp than to live here.

You have rather a naïve view of the USA... for an 18 year old kid there are few opportunities. It is FAR from the land of the free... no free healthcare, little Government support if you fall on hard times....

to study there you need to be $$$$$ and the FCE / CAE certificates mean nothing outside Macedonia

Being physically capable doesn't open any doors either

Haha the US is NOT the land of the free any more; the American dream is over.

If you want to live/work there, you'll need to qualify for a work visa. Study STEM

• L2 months agoReport

Is STEM a priority? What about studying law or finance?

• Lisa A

You can try to get a work visa after you get a PhD in engineering or a hard science.

Or you can have your US citizen parent, sibling, spouse, or child over 21 file form I-130 for you to get the process started.

The U.S. currently needs more uneducated farm workers (even if they don't speak English), not more well-educated workers with good grades.

Forget the U.S., and look into countries that are looking for immigrants with great educations. Try Canada, because it's near the U.S. and if you can become a citizen of Canada, then you can visit the U.S. when you want.

• L2 months agoReport

I did my research on Canada, its impossible to get in

Actually, poorer countries have the greatest needs, and where there are needs, there are opportunities. There are far more opportunities for you in your country than in a place like US where there's a glut of workers seeking employment in a substantial number of fields. Even if you had a way to immigrate & get a green card (e.g sponsored by immediate relative who is US citizen & meets requirements) so you could legally work in any capacity, you have no qualifications & would have to expect a lot of difficulty finding any work.

You have no education, training, exceptional qualifications to compete for jobs internationally. And even where there are listed shortage occupations in high-tech/STEM fields requiring minimum master's degree + experience, you likely would have to compete with 100-1000 applicants from around the world for one job which offers some potential for a temporary employment visa.

Until you have something very much NEEDED to offer some country somewhere - including your own - stop whining. You aren't going anywhere.

• L2 months agoReport

You said i should have something that is NEEDED in my country. Well, money is needed here. 250$ monthly salary...

It always amazes me when somebody talks about their country but doesn't name it. If your "European country" is part of the EU, you have many options to move. If you are looking for a country where English is widely spoken, then the UK and Malta are great destinations.

If you wish to move to the United States, you'll have to get an advanced degree in one of the STEM fields and a bit of work experience. It will open the door to a H1-B work visa.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • Maxi

Not at 18 with basic education and no work skills............ you have nothing to offer in order to get any visa to live/work there........... the minimum is a high level degree and several years of work experience in a STEM subject