Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 months ago

Can I apply for an American passport if my cousins are American born citizens? ?

Do I qualify for American citizenship or an American passport if my cousins are American born / live in The USA ? 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Hockey
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

No. You need children, spouse or parent to be eligible.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Your cousins' citizenships have nothing to do with you. You're either a US citizen and entitled to a US passport or you are not. Your cousins aren't even "immediate family" to where they could sponsor your US resident status.

• 2 months ago

What have your cousins to do with anything?  It is YOUR citizenship that matters.  If you aren't American, you don't qualify for an American passport.  That is how it works.

• 2 months ago

Nope - you have absolutely no claim to US citizenship through them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

No. At least not directly. Your cousins might be able to sponsor their parents (your aunt and uncle) to live in the U.S. and eventually obtain citizenship. Then your aunt or uncle would sponsor their sibling (your parent), who would eventually sponsor you. The problem is that the waiting list to enter the U.S. based on family relationships can be about 20 years, depending on the person's home country, and when a person does get into the country, they have to live there for several years before qualifying to put their relative on the list, so we are talking about something that could easily be a 60-70 year process. And your parents probably won't live that long.

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

no. That isn't a qualification at all.

• 2 months ago

no. you do not. you try for a green card like any foreigner

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can't apply and get a US passport unless you are a US citizen

• 2 months ago

No. You must be a US citizen yourself. Your distant relatives cannot sponsor you to immigrate, either.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I think not. We don't offer passports as a Christmas gift. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.