Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEarth Sciences & Geology · 2 months ago

If you somehow force a gigantic hollow pole longer than the Earth’s crust through the Earth, will lava continue to flow out of its top end?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Will
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Theoretically, yes, until the magma being forced up it by pressure hardens on the way up and creates a volcano of sorts.

If you are wondering if it would violently be expelling magma/lava, no, not like a legitimate volcanic eruption can. The magma would be rising up slowly and then likely just pile up at the top, creating a cap. Over time this could actually result in the formation of a volcano if magma rose up, broke through, and repeated the process of piling up, creating a mound, and then building up to create a land formation that houses the conduit and other features of a volcano.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

It is quite likely that you would not even encounter any lava anyway, so I am going with no (the point being that most of the mantle is not liquid).  But let us assume that you might actually puncture a zone with some liquid rock in it with that borehole: if that were to happen, there might be flow up the pipe, but it is far more likely that the lava would solidify inside the pipe before reaching surface, or around the entrance to the pipe prece3nting further loss to the opening, than it is that it would flow freely into and through the pipe (even if you had a pipe that would not itself degrade from exposure to lava).

To date, we have been unable to maintain an opening of any sort against the pressures that exist at depths, so this hypothetical is not likely to ever be real anyway.

• 2 months ago

I'm re-hashing the question so:

if you drilled a hole into the Earth so deep that it struck magma

and then vacated the hole (took the drill out)

would lava continuously flow out the top?

My answer:

It would act similar to a volcano.

The pressure behind the lava would force the lava to rise to a point where it was cool enough to harden and seal the hole

or

to the point where the pressure "failed" to continue forcing the lava upward.

(I.e. when the pressure of the weight of the column of lava was equal to the upward pressure).

It might not reach the Earth's surface at all

but if it did

it would build up a "cone" and eventually stop when the pressure "failed" to force the lava upward.

(The pressure would reduce as lava continued to exit the subterranean lava chamber.)

• Ron
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You probably mean through the thickness of the lithosphere.  The lithosphere is the rigid rock we refer to as what tectonic plates are made of.  Below the lithosphere, there is little molten rock until you get to the outer core.  The mantle is not molten except near diverging plates and hot spots.  I would still have to say no.  Even if you drilled through lithosphere at a spreading ridge, the pressure would be so great a tube would collapse.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.