Does any other vehicle share the same brake line set up as a 2000 Ford Econoline e150?

Currently looking for a preformed brake line kit for my fathers' van. Every site I have been to, none show anything for said van, but sell kits for many other Ford models. Just wondering if I could find a kit that would fit the van instead of shelling out extra money for a custom job. Thank you for any help.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

This is the Ford VN platform and from 1992 to the end of production shared the same platform. The lines on the differential will be the same as any other Ford product that used the same thing. The chassis lines should be the same as the pick-up. The hoses between lines are pretty standard for Ford products. There is the official ford parts site and of course the dealer who  should be able to order the parts from depot. Not that that would be cheap, but they would be right. Clearly bending your own is the cheapest way to go. It only takes a tube bender and learning how might take a few tries. "Pick your own part" yards might be a good place to go provided you have the right wrenches. It takes two wrenches to undo a hydraulic line some times.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Bort
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Replacing brake lines is expensive regardless of which way is chosen to go about doing it if you're replacing the entire line(s). There are kits manufactured that replace the entire line for some vehicles but even those require some finagling, the tech still ends up having to bend them manually here and there.

In most cases the entire line doesn't have to be replaced, just a section of it or sections is all that's needed and that can be done fairly cheaply.

Brake line tube is cheap. Cut the line where it's still good with a pipe cutter, put a compression fitting in, put the replacement section in, do the same on the other side where it's still good.

A video on how this is done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYOTd3ZjCQU

Youtube thumbnail

Examples of compression fittings:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-3-8-in-Lead...

Now, that all said, depending on your location compression fittings aren't legal to have in brake lines in some states of the US. If they're found by a mechanic doing a state inspection he has to fail the vehicle. I'm letting the cat out of the bag here (maybe?) that shops that do a lot of inspections don't always look over every vehicle really well, as they honestly should. And some tech's don't care much...if they see something that shouldn't pass but it's working they'll pass it anyway. Some things slide by.

Compression fittings are safe to use as long as they're installed properly. I've never heard of one failing that was put in right. It was worth suggesting and mentioning as a cheap option to get it fixed. If you have to or just want to do all of it, the entire lines, I would recommend just letting a shop do it however they choose. They have resources maybe you haven't found that might have a kit.

Doing this kind of job yourself is not something I recommend if you've never done it at least a couple of times before. Brake lining is a thin copper tube. It kinks and breaks and can be damaged to cause a pin hole leak very easily. It takes some skill and no how and a lot of practice with it to know how to bend it without causing damage to it. A pin hole leak or a kink that stops the fluid from flowing in brake lining means no brakes. Don't do this yourself unless you are 100% confident in your mechanic abilities.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Check the F-150 model for that year.  It might have the same brake components.

• 2 months ago

Just buy a piece of 8 foot brake line or whatever length is close to the brake line that is leaking. Match the end fittings for thread size and type of flare.

Tie wrap the new line to the old line and bleed out the brakes,

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.