I asked in TravelAir Travel · 2 months ago

Why don,t planes fly most,from US above pacific ocean to other countries toward west?

But when then some travel it becomes better if they fly for that direction. Exapmles:From LA to Peking,Or San Fransisco to Manila.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • John F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Get a globe and a piece of string. Put one end of the string at the starting city. Stretch the string tight and bring it to the ending city. That will show you the shortest path between the two cities.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Airlines when flying great distance follow the Shortest path to save fuel.

The shortest path is the Great Circle route between the two cities.

Remember the Earth is Round and a Straight Line is not the Shortest route on a Globe.  Great Circle is.

When flying from San Fransisco to Japan you would fly over Alaska.

• 2 months ago

Believe it or not, it is actually shorter to fly towards Alaska from LA to Beijing and then circle down past Japan and into China than it is to fly across the Pacific Ocean.  Since maps are 2 dimensional, they do not show the actual distance it takes to fly across the Pacific Ocean as opposed to flying up north first.

• Joseph
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Here is a routing of an actual Philippine Airlines Flight 105, a non-stop from San Francisco to Manila, that departed San Francisco in the evening of December 1 and arrived at Manila in early morning, December 3:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/PAL105/history...

It sure looks like it flew over the Pacific Ocean to me! 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • TedEx
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Google ""Great Circle Route"

• 2 months ago

I've flown from Chicago, L.A. and Seattle to China. The flight from Chicago went over the North Pole. The ones from the west coast go over the Pacific Ocean. How else would they get there? I don't really understand what you're asking. 

• MS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I can't even tell what exactly you're trying to ask.  Planes fly the best route between destinations - the one that will be safest and the one that will be most economical for the airline. Many of those routes do go over the Pacific Ocean.

• 2 months ago

Planes tend to use the most economical routes. By passing over highly populated areas, they can serve more passengers and, by flying in the same direction as the jet stream, they can fly faster and save a lot of fuel. Flying west, against a headwind, would be less economical.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

first there are no airports with ATC in the middle

of the ocean to communicate and tell the planes

location and height

secondly there is no runway close enough to land in an emergency

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.