Sheena asked in Food & DrinkEntertaining · 2 months ago

How can I prevent my fruit from turning brown? ?

I'm trying to make a fruit grazing table for an event I am hosting. How can I make my fresh cut fruits and vegetables from turn brown? 

• denise

Fresh cut fruit can be sprayed with water that has lemon juice added [in a plastic spray bottle atomiser].

Not sure about vegetables though, Sorry!

Maybe keep them covered as long as possible?

Use an acid wash. Lemon juice and water in equal proportion works for most fruits. Veggies usually don't need anything unless you are on a movie set.

Use lime juice or lemon juice 

not all of them do but when using the ones that do turn brown, simply dip them in lemon juice and water mixture, drain and carry one.

Been using that for years on those pretty fruit platters at parties and picnics.

• C

Put the sliced fruit in acidulated water (lemon juice in best to use and don't arrange them on platters until right before the event.  The less time cut fruit sits out the better.  If you live in the US there's this product that's easier to use:

https://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Fresh-Fruit-Fresh-Pro...

Do not cut until you're ready to eat. Put in containers or zip sandwich bags.

Lemon juice is the answer.

You can either keep them soaking in seltzer water leading up to serving, or spray lemon/lime juice on them following slicing.  Either way will protect the fruits for quite a while.

For bananas, apples, pears, citric acids will do. Peel a lemon and squeeze some juice on them and give a quick toss to coat the fruits. Or you can cut a lemon in half and wipe the exposed area. 

cut fruits and vegetables such as apples that are prone to turning brown can be prevented from doing so by soaking them in a mixture of 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice per cup of water for 5 minutes. drain and keep refrigerated until ready for use.