Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 2 months ago

In real life, could a burglar use the Home Alone method to rob houses?

In the original movie, Joe Pesci played a burglar who disguised himself as a police officer, and had the following conversation with Macaulay Culkin's on screen father:

Joe Pesci: "I'd like a word with you sir."

Mr. McCallister: "Am I under arrest or something?"

Joe Pesci: "Oh no not at all sir, it's Christmas time, there are always a lot of burglars around the holidays, and we're just making sure everyones taking the proper precautions, that's all."

Mr. McCallister: "Oh yes, well we have automatic timers for our lights, dead bolts for our doors, we can't be too careful if we're spending the holidays in Paris."

Joe Pesci: "Ah, you're taking a trip to Paris?"

Mr. McCallister: "Yes, we plan to leave tomarrow morning."

Joe Pesci: "Well don't worry about your home, it's in good hands." *Flashes his shady gold tooth smile*

Then he knew exactly when the house would be vacant, he knew exactly what they'd be up against when they enter the house, and he knew that none of the neighbors would spot him, because he already had the same conversation with those neighbors who told him of their own holiday travel plans.

As long as the burglars don't run into a crafty kid with a tarantula, could burglars use this method in real life?

Dress up as a police officer and get all the information right from the horses mouth?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Sally
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

yes he could.  One of my men has done that

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

points please...………..

• 2 months ago

All the time it’s called social engineering 

• 2 months ago

Yes of course, this is a well known swell awesome pretty  cool act for burglars.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Maybe, they went as far as allowing President IDIOT a cameo appearance in Home Alone 2

• Joe
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Of course it's possible. I've burglarized many homes using this method and I've only been hit in the face with a paint can only two or three times.  

• 2 months ago

No dad, but I could

• 2 months ago

No. In real life, (1) not everyone in a neighborhood would be going away, (2) some of them would be having guests coming to them, (3) some families that are planning to travel don't, because they miss the flight or because someone gets sick, (4) even those who are traveling would typically just say that they have lights, etc., and wouldn't say where or when they were going, and (5) if any police lived in the neighborhood, they would know that the burglar was a fake police officer (the real police tend to know each other or have been trained in how to identify each other, even when undercover, such as by a "color of the day"), and arrest him.

• John
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

Isn't "Nigel" a jewish name?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

There is always someone who will fall for anything.

Could it happen - maybe.

Is it likely to happen - no.  Most criminals aren't going to risk that level of open exposure to try to pry for information - especially when so many nicer homes would have security cameras and doorbell cameras as part of their home security.

The time frame when this type of scam would have worked ended about twenty years ago or even more.  Even when the movie was made, it would be hard to believe that people would accept the idea of local police actually making house calls to check on people's holiday plans.

• 2 months ago

Yes it has worked before. There were burglaries were a thief pretended to be from the gas company and there to inspect a possible leak. When the owner isn’t looking, he’ll knock out and tie the owner. Other times they’ll pull out a gun and tell the owner to give him valuable stuff. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.