Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 2 months ago

My school's forcing everyone to redo work from when they're not in or ill?

My school has this thing called "compulsory catch-up" where if a child is off school (even if they're in the hospital) they have a week to do all the school work you've missed out on, people on school trips even have to do it for whatever reason. Do you think this is fair?

Favorite Answer

Your school's policy is a good and fair one. It would be more difficult for you to progress if you didn't do so. It also helps your teachers to keep everyone on the same track.

• Lv 7

Yes, everyone in a classroom needs to do the same amount of assignments. The child needs to catch up on what everyone else already did. This happens in pretty much all schools. It's important to not miss school unless extremely sick so that making up work doesn't become a problem.

yes it is fair

i think so

The cry of the immature-- "It's not FAAAAIIIIIIR!"

First, school is there for you to acquire certain knowledge and skills. You need to acquire that knowledge whether you are sick or away or whatever. It has nothing to do with "fairness" - it has to do with making sure you have what you need to be successful in your next phase of life.

Second, you will find when you have a job, that things are not always "fair". Employers treat employees who contribute and achieve more differently from those who don't. That's how the world works. 

• ?

It matters not if it's fair. It's your school's policy. You're out of luck. Better get to work!

• not

My work waits for me to be sick or go on vacation and then it's mine to do when I return. Some jobs will have other people do your work while you are not around. Does the school have someone to do your school work while you are not around? Can mommy go do it for you?

Fair? Do explain fair to me. Is it fair you have to wipe your own ash when paralyzed people get help? 

Yes! A school year is based on completing a set amount of instruction. It what is not obtained it puts the child at a disadvantage the next year. If too much work is missed the student should have to repeat the grade or at least produce a passing grade on the final exams (at grade levels where these exist).