What state am I a resident of?

So I'm 28, I've been moving around a lot the last few years, living in quite a few different states for times ranging from 3 months to a year. How to I go about figuring out what state I'm a resident of. I grew up in Florida but haven't lived there in awhile. I'm trying to figure this out so I know where I could be granted in state tuition next year.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You're a resident of wherever you're living right now, where your current address is. For in-state tuition, they usually require you live there for a year or two to qualify for in-state tuition. It seems like you won't qualify for in-state tuition anywhere. The only way is on the off-chance you've owned/rented property somewhere for more than a year. Even if you weren't actually living there you could be considered a resident. You would need utility bills or something with your name. Proof of residency varies by school.

• ...Show all comments
    • Matt2 months agoReport

Yeah that's what I found, I just wanted to see if maybe somehow I retained residency for tuition purposes in at least one state but it doesn't appear so. Thank you for your help

• Login to reply the answers
  • di
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Where is your driver's license from?  Where do you file state income tax?  Check on the web site for the state you're in NOW to see what their definition of state resident is for state student aid and tuition purposes.  Most states definitions range from 6 to 12 months prior to the date of application...  Schools will look at the date of issue on the driver's license - and most state's residence requirements are way longer than the requirement to obtain a state drivers license - for instance, a person may have 30 days to trade in a drivers license from another state and get state tags on a car, but may require 12 months of residence before offering in-state tuition.

***  All this assumes you are classified as an "independent" student for Federal Aid purposes, because if not, your state of residency is whatever state your parents are residents of.

• nancy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Regulations vary by state, but in general, to qualify for in-state tuition you would need to have established permanent residency in the state at least one year (sometimes longer) prior to enrolling in school. If you want to attend school next year, you might be able to qualify for in-state tuition in the state where you are currently a resident, assuming you have lived there since at least August (i.e. one full year). Otherwise, it's unlikely that you would be able to qualify for next year unless you hold off until January before enrolling. You should check with the school you are planning to attend, because just physically living in the state doesn't necessarily mean that you are a legal resident for tuition purposes. Most states will want to see that you have not just moved there to attend school and have established permanent ties with the state. How that is defined varies by state, but usually it things like having a permanent residence (lease or mortgage) and a driver's license from that state, being employed there, registering to vote, filing a state tax return etc.

• 2 months ago

probably wherever you are now

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Wherever you are currently living.

• Jay
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

how do you even survive 28 years in this world without knowing how to look at a government issued ID? How do you even know how to eat and drink when you can't even do that?

• ...Show all comments
    • Jay
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Ok you clearly don't understand how to use proper punctuation, and how to figure out what state you are a resident of.

• Jill
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The state you are a resident of is the state you currently reside in. 

• Lib.rare.ian
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Not for the purpose of college tuition.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.