Savannah asked in HealthDental · 1 week ago

Why did my dentist ask me if I'm pregnant?

When I was at the dentist, my dentist asked if I was pregnant and I'm not sure why. 

When I was at the dentist, it was for a cleaning and they were not giving me any medication.

By the way, I'm not pregnant.

• 1 week ago
    Favorite Answer

Presumably a dentist might normally use medications or dental cleaning substances on everybody except pregnant woman for possible affects on unborn babies. If that's the case they would be obligated to ask every childbearing aged woman if they are pregnant before using those products.

• 1 week ago

Probably because you're a patient and they need to know information about your health before they do procedures. What else would it be?

1 week ago

cause he cant give you certain stuff if youre pregnant

• 1 week ago

maybe he cant use certain anesthesia if youre pregnant

• denise
    1 week ago

Well if you needed a dental X-ray, I dont think its safe when your pregnant.

But in the UK dental treatment is free for pregnant ladies, so that could be the reason?

1 week ago

For the X-rays, and for the effect of anesthetic may have on a developing embryo.

1 week ago

Any procedures coming up that might be affected if you were pregnant?

• Jolene
    1 week ago

If they had to give you some kind of medication, they would want to know so that they could make sure it wouldn't be anything that is contraindicated for pregnancy.