promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 6 months ago

Why in the former Soviet armed forces, now the Russian and United States Army Lieutenant General is a higher rank than Major General?

I noticed that in the former Red Army and the current Russian army as well as in the British Army, the former colonies of the British Empire and the United States Army, Lieutenant General is higher in the hierarchy than Major General, it is so hopelessly silly, senseless and illogical that I don't know what tell.

For example, in the Polish army, the army of my country, the general levels are more understandable, because we have; Brigadier General, Major General and Genrał of Arms (Genrał Broni) Branch Genaral

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera%C5%82_broni

And the highest general rank, i.e. simply General, general without adjective :-) which has four stars

We also have the highest rank, i.e. the Marshal of the Republic of Poland, but this is a military rank only during the war,

4 Answers

Relevance
  • TB12
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Briefly,,,,

Way, way. way back in the day an army would be commanded by a Captain General, the top rank,, his immediate subordinate was a Lieutenant General,,, much as a Captain has a Lieutenant serving directly under him,,, the next in line was a Sergeant Major General,, much like the third in command of a company was the Sergeant Major,, eventually the Sergeant part was dropped and it became just Major General.

• 6 months agoReport

Now it had sense, thanks :-)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

typical demthink,title form, obsessing about where in the organization,

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Okay, you don't like it. So what?

• 6 months ago

The rank of Major General came from the older rank of Sergeant Major General,  a Sergeant Major being lower in rank than a Lieutenant. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.