Lôn
Lv 7
Lôn asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 week ago

Why do so many people on here add an apostrophe to every word ending in an 's' ? Orange's, phone's, leg's, name's. Is it lack of education?

Update:

They can't even distinguish between simple words in their own language. Words like your/you're, to/too, there/their/they're, loose/lose, dose/does.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 week ago
    Favorite Answer

In my experience the majority of people making all these very common mistakes are not speakers of other languages - they tend to have excellent English grammar - but native speakers who either paid no attention at school, or are indifferent to those mistakes.

I'm certain that if you offered $50 to any of these people to write a para using their/they're/there correctly, you'd be bankrupt. They DO know the difference; they just can't be bothered.

Please don't give me Autocorrect as an excuse. Autocorrect may indeed make hay of your text, but it's the writer's responsibility to READ THROUGH before posting.

• 1 week ago

Two reasons:  1. they paid no attention in English class; 2. they were allowed to get away with it.  

They've apparently stopped teaching English in English classes.  I know that because I have to teach *university students*  English grammar in my foreign language classes 

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

Some of "foreigners" sometimes do it because without the apostrophe we want to pronounce it differently:

Anglos(s), Latinos(s), CEOs(s)

Loser looks like it's pronounced "low-sir"

• Lôn
      Lv 7
      1 week agoReport

Yes..English people seem to be worse at their own language than people like us who have learned their language as a second language.

• Dimple
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

Phone typos

15 characters

• Lôn
      Lv 7
      1 week agoReport

Don't they read their posts before pressing 'submit'?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 week ago

I don't know, but it really annoy's me.

• 1 week ago

People from certain countrie's do that 

• K8
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

Some don't know, some know and make a typo, and for some  the auto correction is changing things.

• 1 week ago

Yes, but they get more of a pass because of autocorrection, and not proofreading if that’s how they’re communicating

• Anonymous
    1 week ago

There are a lot of liberals on this site posting hateful messages.  Most liberals are uneducated and semi-literate.  

• Anonymous
    1 week ago

Because Autocorrect

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      1 week agoReport

@Anon, they should still read through their auto-corrected posts before hitting 'Submit'.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.