Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 2 months ago

Is my new SD card Corrupted?

I just bought a 128gb mini sd card from amazon for $7. It had mixed reviews but I thought I would take a chance. Everything was working well until a few minutes ago when I attempted to playback a video that I just finished recording. When I tried to play it back through my camera it played the first 30sec before a static noise erupted from the speakers and the video stopped. Is there something wrong with my camera or with this new SD card?  

I bought two other SD cards overseas that I used to record videos on and when I got back in the US both had corrupted files on them. The name brand SD cards I bought in the US before I left had no problems with playback. 

• Frank
    Favorite Answer

The camera is usually not the best device to use for playback as they're not really designed as playback devices.  Instead, put the car into your computer and play the video on it.  If the file is corrupt, then your SD Card might be bad.  Try the card again and then switch to a card that is known to be good.  Also, try making videos of different lengths to see if that causes an issue.

I have to agree with what's been said - cheap cards are often bad especially off-brand Chinese brands.  Stick with the main brands like Kingston and Sandisk.

Cheap SD cards are often defective, fakes, or otherwise incapable of proper operation. It's puzzling why people buy expensive cameras and then try to save a few dollars on SD cards. 

Did you record the video on the same device? Cameras are not designed as portable viewing devices for random inputs.

• Jean2 months agoReport

Yes I recorded it on the same device. Immediately after I recorded it I tried to play it back but it only played the first few seconds before stopping. I went ahead and purchased a new card. After looking at more reviews on Amazon I found out they  have a history of selling fakes.

The problem is: 128Gig for $7. You've got a card that's been frigged to show up as 128, but probably only has maybe 16 or so

If you're using the card in an adapter it's possible that that's the problem - try using a different one.

• keerok

Chinese? No surprises there. Always buy your memory cards from a reputable store. ALWAYS!

You tried to go Too Cheap! 

Decent memory costs about $1 per GB; 

better cards are more than that. 

Problem-free brands I have used are Sandisk, PNY, and Kingston. 

Most of the SD cards on Amazon are fakes. There's no way to even get a real SD card because Amazon mix supposedly identical items on the shelf even if they are from different sellers because according to the wrapping they are the same products.

• qrk

Try sticking the SD card in a computer and see if it works. B&H Photo sells a 128 GB micro Sandisk SD card for $14. You should be able to get it from a local retailer for $18.