What’s causing these markings?

I just moved into an above garage apartment. I had some plastic bins up in the top of my closet, 1 in my entertainment center, and then a yogurt container in the fridge. Basically overnight they all got these weird markings on them. I thought it was some weird condensation at first but it’s dry, and it rubs off like a dirt mark on my finger. I can’t find anything online about what this could be from. Any ideas? 

reading you just moved, how about newspaper ink. that transferred over from the packing paper to the plastic.  Just wash off and forget it. Stuff happens.  It is forgotten once it is washed off.

• Anna bonona2 months agoReport

I didn’t use any newspaper to wrap stuff, but good thought! 

a word of caution.be aware of carbon dioxide poisoning if cars are left running in the garage. a silent killer

• Anna bonona2 months agoReport

Thanks for the reminder. Luckily I have a good carbon monoxide monitor, and they never really use the cars in there anyway. 

Static on the plastic attracting all the dust and soot.

• Anna bonona2 months agoReport

This seems most likely, it’s just so odd that I’ve never had that happen before anywhere else I’ve lived. 

If you heat with oil, those markings can be from an inefficient or poorLy running furnace. The black markings would be soot or unburned fuel.

Also, there are baseboard electric heaters thart are known to leave black marks on the walls and household furnishings. This happens when the heat rises from dirty baseboard heaters...it deposits black marks on everything.

Look up in the corners of your rooms. Do you see that the walls are discolored? If so, that''s from your heating system. Take a wet rag and wipe your walls and if there's black marks on the rag in the wall gets clean then it's definitely black markings from your heating system. Whereas if it was nicotine stains it would be Brown.

I do not think the cars  below in the garage are responsible. Howsoever,  vehicle owners should never heat up their cars in the garage where there are living quartery above... that is a recipe for carbon monoxide poisoning.

• Anna bonona2 months agoReport

I have baseboard heating but no marks in any of the corners or along any of the furniture. 
      The carbon monoxide poisoning is true, but luckily they don’t really drive the cars that are in there, it’s more storage. But thanks for the warning. 

Pollution. You live above a garage.

• Anna bonona2 months agoReport

That does make sense, my only caveat is the cars in the garage basically never leave it, it’s more storage for the home owner. And there’s no ventilation running into the closet or the fridge that would’ve supplied the exhaust dirt from the garage below. 

I agree with the first poster. Dust, but dust from burning fuel. Or you can call it soot. I once lived in a house heated with an oil-fired cook stove and sometimes got a lot of it.

Looks like soot from an exhaust pipe. Plastic can have a static attraction.

That looks like the dust from car exhaust.  The garage was probably open for some time and this ended up on the rafters.  Your movement in the building has caused this dust to settle.  If the rafters are open, try vacuuming them with a brush attachment.  Vacuum off all the things in storage too.  

You might also run a car in the garage and see if you smell exhaust.  This would mean trouble later and your landlord should seal it properly.