Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 2 months ago

Why is the pressure always on men to be fearless ?

Women talk so much about toxic masculinity...but they never talk about the constant pressure men are always under to never be afraid, always be willing to take risks.

Women think they are brave because they "venture into an all male work space" or because they "had the courage to walk out of an abusive relationship"

But from boyhood all the way to manhood, men are expected to face danger, even life threatening danger without wincing.

Women will never understand it.

Women even perpetuate it. Even when it comes to marriage...when a man says "I dont want to commit yet because Im not sure how I can provide"....most women say "he is afraid to take chances"....not realizing that when a man takes risks its all on him. The success of for the couple, but if it fails the failure is on him alone.

• Jerome
    Favorite Answer

I always laugh at the ones who think they can eliminate fear by being fearless. Sorta like me becoming selfless.......lol

It's not like I got rid of Jerome........walking around without the "self".....lmao

Reminds me of jumping out a plane with an older Sergeant Major. Ask me, was I scared. In my bravado, I screamed, "hell no". Son, "you are jumping out a perfectly good airplane. You suppose to be scared. A number of things can go wrong. And the day you are not scared in doing this, is most likely the day you die doing this"......

I never forgot that.

It what you do in the face of fear.....but you can't eliminate fear. The best you can do is....

"I only fear ever becoming fearful"

Being brave is not eliminating fear. They are clones whoever BELIEVEs this.🤔

ten percent  of men act on th' dog genes  'me alpha,,pee on u..sucka'

biology or upbringing is the driver,,they bully  other males.most of the rest of the % have the peaceful gene that keeps the wolf stuff in a corner only to use for self defense,of mz wolfmate or the puppers.

the ten percenters are the tatted baldies gymrats who recruit poon where/when ever,,manspreaders on airplanes,quick to take offense at   any  dogger they happen accross,,often are abusive,,badboys like the coppers show arrestees,they want it they take it,,poor self control,burglars thieves muggers,villains, ladies  of the left often

judge the whole lot by the ten percent buzzards,,'all men,,,,'

It sucks. Being a man nowadays is terrible

• Bill

Nothing he is complaining about is new stuff. It's just that men like you can't handle it because your estrogen levels are out of control. 

What you describe, that constant pressure on men, is toxic masculinity and it is much discussed.

The bigger question is why are you as a man giving in to moral policing and social control. 

Its not like they can jail us for being azzsholes. 

Source(s): 79

Because women are not fearless. Men and women are different, PERIOD.

Most men I know like being that way, not because they're expected to, but because that's who they are.

I think men are more expected to be sensitive and effeminate these days. 

Some women though, I guess they want to have their cake and eat it too

• Bill

Liberals in the west have about as much chance to create a strong society as a paralyzed person has to walk. 

• Fred

Everyone has fear!

Some are controlled by fear and  are physically incapacitated with the emotion of fear.

Others overcome irrational fear, or overcome the crippling effects of fear and can positively function with the emotion of fear.

I have overcome a great many fears in life.  The one fear that persists is being physically trapped in fire.  I often stick weld in confined spaces, I wear fire resistant clothing. I weld in places and conditions that make me uncomfortable!  At first exposure pulling a welding helmet over your face at extreme high elevations is terrifying, but in hours or days it evaporates and is gone forever! There remains a serious danger from being impaired by the welding leads physically tripping and upsetting body balance at ANY height! Any trip hazard can produce a life threating accident! There are some situations  I prudently refuse!!! Some that involve flammable environments! I have lit many welding wild fires! Some requiring Fire Department extinguishment!  But the fear of fire entrapment never leaves me!  Fear of fire entrapment doing 'welder's yoga' in confined spaces never leaves me!  I used to catch on fire very often, now it's been years since my last clothing fire?  Maybe it's such a common exposure thing and I don't place it in memory any more? Maybe I grew tired of replacing half burnt clothing and trial and error found fire resistance?  

• Bill

Obnoxious nonsense. You're either a feminist pretending to be a sissy in order to promote toxic masculinity rhetoric without people noticing or you're an ignorant sissy that has no idea what feminists are talking about when they speak of toxic masculinity. Social exceptions of men is what the toxic masculinity rhetoric is about. 

Society needs strong men, women want strong men, and as someone that saved my high school girlfriend from a rapist I can tell you from experience that in the moment you either act to do what needs to be done or you allow someone to get hurt on your watch. So tell me, do you allow a woman to be harmed when you're there to stop it or do you stop it? Well? Pick one. If you pick the former then just know that you deserve no respect for that position and I fully promote you being forever alone.  

Oh and btw, no one should allow their fears to rule them including women. This toxic masculinity rhetoric that promotes men being ruled by fear is utter nonsense that does men, women, and society no favors 

• Bill

He ended up ignoring historical data in some of the most obvious of ways all because he couldn't admit his more feminist way of thinking of masculinity actually harms men. Men like the man that created the term toxic masculinity are a cancer to men in the west and must be stopped at all costs. 

but why are women shamed so much for being attracted to masculinity?

its not so much women purposely placing pressure on men to be fearless, its just that we naturally find fearless men more attractive. we find it more masculine. sorry i apologize for being attracted to masculinity. lol, seems like alot of men these days want us to only appreciate feminine traits